5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect summer read!
My Life Next Door has been high on my TBR list forever! For some reason I just never found the time to read the book but thankfully that time came, and it was just as good as everyone told me it was it.

Published 4 months ago by Book Passion for Life

2.0 out of 5 stars what was all the fuss about?
i have no big complaints other than that it was really very boring . tbh i expected more due to the price and reviews. for a similar but better book try the boy who sneaks into my bedroom window xx finally i would not recommend this book however the start is good and the storyline has potential x
Published 7 months ago by skittleslover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect summer read!, 5 Aug 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Paperback)

Samantha Reed comes from a very conservative family. Her mother is running for Major of the town and her older sister is living her life at college. For Samantha, her life is okay but she can’t help wish for more. What Samantha’s mother doesn’t know is Samantha watches her crazy next door neighbours – The Garretts. Samantha’s mother would go mad at her but watching them as become a nightly ritual and it gets even harder when one night Jase Garrett joins Samantha on her rooftop perch. From there out Samantha’s life in entwined with the Garretts because of Jase and their growing relationship. But when something happens Samantha stands to lose everything she loves.

Aw, this was so good, really good, amazing even. I don’t know what I expected before I went into this story if I’m honest. It was such a long time ago that I read the synopsis that I couldn’t remember what was going to happen and I didn’t re-read it which I usually do, but I’m glad I didn’t because I enjoyed it all the more going in blind. It’s not your typical romance story. It’s not full of drama over the main characters relationships, its more about the events that happen around the character that affects them and I enjoyed that. The story was unpredictable and very sweet oh and fun. I’d definitely say it’s for older teens because the characters were so mature for their ages, but again, I loved that. And of course, the main reason I loved this story was for the spine-tingling romance between Jase and Samantha and of course, the Garrett’s. The Garrett’s are such a lovable, fun, messy, compassionate family that I found myself wishing they were real. Even though their family is quite hectic, I loved them. I definitely think they are my favourite family in a YA contemporary that I’ve read.

Samantha and Jase were just so cute together. They were great together and had such a strong connection. I appreciated that they had a patient relationship too; they didn’t rush and took their time in every decision they had to make because they were very responsible characters. The twist near the end of the story is a right shocker – I certainly didn’t expect it but it was so unpredictable. Simply fantastic!

The Garrett’s as secondary characters were amazing! I loved them all and again they were so welcoming to everyone they met. And I can’t forget Tim. I warmed up to Tim as the story progresses. He changes so much throughout the story and definitely becomes a better person but no matter what, he is so funny! I’m so thrilled he gets his own story soon and with Alice – I can’t wait!

In all, My Life Next Door is the perfect summer read. I couldn’t fault it one bit except to say I wish I’d read it sooner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review for 'My Life Next Door', 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Hardcover)
My Life Next Door is a sweet, sweet, realistic, romantic and wonderful journey. I read it in two short days, and it was just what I needed. Sam and Jace had the most amazing chemistry, and I love that even though it is a young adult book Huntley Fitzpatrick is not afraid to tell the story as she wanted to. A lot of young adult writers seem to be unsure about stepping over a line when it comes to sexuality and going to the core of what the characters mean to each other, and this woman did it just right. Her writing style is funny and spontaneous, just as it is touching and fits just right to this kind of story. She told the story as raw and beautifully as it was meant to, and she did it well.

“Then we are just kissing and everything else drops away. Mr. Garret could come out at any moment, a truck full of supplies could drive right on up, a fleet of alien spaceships could darken the sky, I’m not sure I’d notice.”

What I really found myself loving in My Life Next Door, was Jase and Sam’s relationship. Sam is not some damsel in distress and Jase is in no way an overprotective badboy. I bet we’re all getting kind of tired of that scenario, to be honest. They both have an equal role in the relationship, and Jase, as the male in this, is not the one who dominates or makes all the decisions. This makes them so real. The fact that they start of as friends, and slowly, slowly fall in love, but still have that hint of a romantic connection, makes it all believable. Another thing is that Jase blushes! Haha, yes. Just as Sam, and any other teenager, he gets embarrased over his family, intimacy and stuff. It was the most wondeful thing to read, and he still manages to come off as somewhat masculine. I truly loved it!

“The Garretts were my bedtime story, long before I ever thought I’d be part of the story myself.”

There are lots of characters in this book, and by that I mean quite a bit. Like, it’s not an overwhelming amount, but enough to make me go back and memorize the names of Jase’s siblings. I did in fact do that, and they are a bunch of adorable children. Alice is hilarious, Andy is so sweet, George… I want that kid, and all the other kids I can’t take my time to talk so much about now. I could really relate to their family and situation, as I also have quite the family myself. Samantha’s friends Nan and her brother Tim were also great characters, and I like how Jase and Sam kind of take care of Tim and include him, even though he can be a bit of douche sometimes. There were some characters I didn’t like (Sam’s mom and her boyfriend), but that’s OK.

“Who are these people, and why do they think their own opinions are the only right ones?”

I think it’s great that the story is not only about romance, but also about friendship and family. It’s about having the gut to stand up for what you believe and the people you love. It’s about telling the truth, even though you might hurt someone, when you know it is the right thing to do. I did enjoy this book, very much. However, I had some issues with the decisions Sam made at the end, which is why I’m only giving it 4 stars on goodreads. And I know people are not always going to do what I would have done, even when they’re fictional, but I found it slightly annoying.

“When I turn back to Jase, he’s again beaming at me. “You’re nice.” He sounds pleased, as if he hadn’t expected this aspect of my personality.”

My Life Next Door is such a true, awkward and honest representation of what it is to fall in love, real love, for the first time. I felt it was a breath of fresh air among a lot of young adult contemporaries that all take the same turn. I recommend it to any young adult from the age of 14 and up, who enjoyes a romance did right, with some humor and the right amount of dramatic events.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Summer Romance!, 26 July 2012
Jess Hearts Books (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Hardcover)
My Life Next Door is one of my favourite contemporary's that I've read so far this summer and is a strong debut novel. I loved that this book instead of focusing on just one topic tackles lots of little ones the ones that pretty much every girl goes through as she grows up. My Life Next Door was a bundle of bittersweet learning curves all mixed in to one long hot summer.

Samantha is a heroine with a lot going on. Despite coming from a wealthy family with a mom working in politics, Samantha doesn't take money for granted and is juggling several jobs this summer all whilst trying to support a friend with alcohol and drug addictions, her best friend whose growing increasingly more distant, and no one being around at home lately with her older sister making plans for the summer with her boyfriend and her single mother spending more and more time at work. During those first few lonely summer evenings Samantha watches from her roof her next door neighbours the Garrett family a noisy, messy and affectionate brood of eight ranging from all different ages and personalities, and their parents Mr and Mrs Garrett who are still very much in love. Samantha longs to be one of them as they are so different to her own family, and then one evening Jase Garrett climbs up to join her on her rooftop perch and through their budding summer romance introduces her to his charming if chaotic world.

The Garrett family completely stole the show in this book. Every single one of them has a distinct personality that's different from their siblings and like Samantha I felt welcomed into their home and quickly became part of the family. The Garrett's are the complete opposite to Samantha's family, the house is lived in and although their not wealthy in money they are wealthy in love and I think that's why Samantha's initially so drawn to them. I loved the different personalities and closeness to this vibrant family and especially loved little George who is pretty much the cutest kid ever!

Jase and Samantha have the sweetest summer romance, the kind that every girl dreams of having, and I adored them both as characters. Samantha's a really kind, generous, hardworking, girl who despite her privileged upbringing isn't afraid of getting her hands dirty and is always willing to help others out and would much rather have her mom around more than the materialistic things that her mother's job means they can afford. Jase was the ultimate boy next door sweet, kind, affectionate nothing is ever too much trouble for him and the way he respected and helped his parents and would be so loving and playful with his younger siblings really melted my heart. Jase is perfect first boyfriend material and his and Samantha's relationship was such an accurate take on first love.

I absolutely loved everything about this book and think that if you love summer contemporary's My Life Next Door needs to be on your reading pile this summer. Because this book covers a range of topics there's something to offer everyone, it has the sweetest romance, loveable characters and the timeless moral of standing up for yourself even if it means standing against someone you love. I couldn't get enough of the Garrett's and this gorgeous summer romance and you won't be able to either!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully flawed and real story., 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Kindle Edition)
My life next door for me was a mix between The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler and The Distance Between Us by Kasie West and most of the time I hate when books remind me of others, but this was something that in a way made the book more special to me. It had the forbidden love from The Book of Broken Hearts and the financial differences of The Distance Between Us.

I've wanted to read this book for a long time, its a book that has been talked about and talked about and that is not always a good thing. But I'm lucky that with this book, it was. This books was hyped up for a reason, its fluffy, its moving and it flows really well. I started it purely for the fact of reading it for the read-a-thon. I finished it in a day because after just a few chapters I was hooked and already in love.

This book is centred around Samantha, a girl who comes from a single parent home with a judgemental politician mum. She has been told for most of her life to stay away from the Garretts who live next door. A family with too many kids, and an unkempt garden. But Samantha feels drawn to the family, spending most of her life sitting just outside her bedroom window watching them go about their life. All she does is look, until one day she gets company on her ledge, none other than Jase Garrett from next door. She's never fallowed her mothers, or the rest of the towns, opinions on his family, but its not until she starts to spend more time with not only him but his family, does she realise just how wrong everyone is. And just how much she fits in with them.

The one thing you see from the start is just how realistic everything is. The characters, the love that developed over time and not instant, the political mum who is too concerned with her own career and the rebel sister who tries anything and everything to lash out and get attention from the absent mother. One of my favourite things about this book was the characters. Jase and Sam are people that stick in your mind. They are such a sweet couple, and as a pair are so a like. They both have this deep routed caring nature that’s' genuine. They aren't perfect people, they have flaws just like everyone else and that's what makes them so likeable and relatable

there is one aspect of this book that, while done often in YA books, is hardly ever done right. Sex. I have never been against having sex in young adult books, but when it's done right like it did in this book, with the embarrassment, the confusing and the awkwardness of it was perfect. Because sex is a big deal and going in to your first time thinking that its all going to go without a hick up and you'll just know what to do, it can leave you very hurt at the end of the day. Anyway, like I said, I think Huntley Fitzpatricks take on it was brilliant. The fact that this is in fact her debut novel is also astounding.

Everything about this book was spot on, and you should try it as not just another book to read, but another book to fall in love with.

4.0 out of 5 stars and I'm happy to report that this book doesn't push the boundaries ..., 10 Oct 2014
Review
Cute contemporary's have kind of been my thing recently. I can't get enough of them, so long as they don't stray too far into the cheesy, and I'm happy to report that this book doesn't push the boundaries of cheesy.
What can I say. Samantha and Jace. So amazing. Honestly, the story between these two is so sweet, it had me hooked from very early on. I'm a huge fan of the whole young love storyline in books, especially when it feels real. I like believing in the relationship, rather than thinking it's just a passing thing and will fizzle out. I believed in Samatha and Jace.
The interactions between the two of them were flawless, so I'd have to say that romance wise, this book is an unmistakable 10/10.
This book is just about the romance. There's also a load of family drama playing out, and I loved that! It's fantastic having that element to the story. His family, I loved. They were all developed really well, and provided some of the best moments in the book. Her family was interesting and well developed and realistic. I loved it.
The friends were great too, and I liked how they added their own touch of drama to the mix.
The only fault I could find in this book, is that very occasionally, mostly towards the end of the book, I found Samatha a touch annoying, but this soon passed and the book was fantastic.

Rating: 9/10

2.0 out of 5 stars what was all the fuss about?, 12 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Summer Romance with Depth, 8 May 2014
Originally posted at [...]

I'm quickly falling completely and hopelessly in love with Contemporary Romance. Or Contemporary Fiction as a whole. And it's all thanks to novels such as Eleanor and Park and My Life Next Door. Both books, that have taken up my spare time where I could be doing something productive. Isn't reading productive? I saw this book a lot of Booktube. Something I'm something of an avid watcher, fangirl, stalker. But it took me ages to buy it, and then when I did, it sat on my shelves for weeks,waiting in line for me to finish with my (very long) TBR list.

My Life Next Door Next Door is a summer romance with depth. It centers around the protagonist Samantha who used to sit on her roof and watch the large, raucous family the Garretts and (subconsciously) maybe wish that she was a part of it all. Samantha is from a well off family that consists of her Mum Grace and her sister Tracy. Whereas Jase is from a family than can struggle for money, yet they are so full of fun and love that it doesn't matter. Samantha feels slightly stifled by her prim and proper mother, who seems to dislike the Garrets and wishes that she were part of a family like that.

Then Jase comes along and gives her a taste of what it's like to be free and happy and wild. she falls in love with Jase's massive family, just as much as she falls in love with Jase himself (and honestly, who can blame her?)

But her happy bubble is burst when she "witnesses" something she wishes she didn't. She becomes torn by doing what is right, which will inadvertently affect her mother, or what is wrong, which will come to affect Samantha herself. This story gives a taste of what it's like to be young. To be stifled under your parents law. As this story develops, Sam slowly learns the true meaning of love, family, life and that she should always, always stick up for herself when people aim to bring her down.

So here's a breakdown of everything I loved about this book in a neat little list.

1. Jase and Samantha's relationship is adorable.
2. It's family focussed. It really highlights the good sides of a good family!
3. It has depth while still being hopelessly adorable.
4. The little conflict. I know that a story needs some conflict, but this story. God it just worked, okay?

And I'm being cliche here. But this gave me such a feeling of happiness reading this. It was like this big, wobbling bubble right in my chest. It was almost as if I myself had fallen in love. And in a way, I have, I've fallen in love with a book. And no matter how many times I read this, whether it's twice or ten times. I will always read it with the same fond smile that I did the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Sweet, Romantic summer read, 23 July 2014
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Kindle Edition)
If you're in the mourning period of a book series you have just finished, this is the contemporary to pick up! When you meet this family, you automatically have to LOVE them especially the Jase's little brother, George, who has to be the smartest kid I have ever read about. The two main characters relationship starts off quite early in the book which I love because you can see how their relationship develops and how they get to the point they do at the end. But this book isn't ALL about the romance and relationship. It's also about her mum and how being senator has affected her, not only that but it shows the importance and closeness of the family next door. This book is heart warming and you won't be able to stop turning the pages!
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars The best YA book you'll read all year, 21 July 2014
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Paperback)
When I first picked up a copy of My Life Next Door I didn't have very high expectations however, I was completely blown away. Never did I think I would become so invested in a YA novel about a girl who fálls in love with the boy living next door. As cliche as the initial storyline sounds, the story itself is so much more. Samantha, the protagonist, is a very likable character who, despite coming from a wealthy family, does not take money for granted. However, it is the Garrett family themselves who make the book. I could ramble on about each Garrett and their individual personalities and why they make this book unique but I'll allow the book to do the talking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good summer romance book, 16 July 2014
This review is from: My Life Next Door (Paperback)
This was the first book I have read by this author what a good choice I made loved this book great summer read!

Positive
Humour
Love
Romance
Friendship
Family (Garrets)
Jace

Negative
A bit long winded in certain things
Undeveloped characters like Samantha's best friends brother he is so rememberable that I can't remember his name

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

My Life Next Door
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick (Hardcover - 14 Jun 2012)