Published 1 month ago by RodStreet

3.0 out of 5 stars No substitute for real rhing
I had heard Taylor was a demanding read for non specialists like myself but someone with invaluable insights. Decided therefore to read this introduction first.
That was unwise. This book did nothing to elucidate that complexity and I wish I hadn't bought it. Fortunately it has not put be off my quest.

I apologise if thus sounds unfair. It may well be of...
Published 7 months ago by Peter Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily and easy read - useful to have the dictionary handy and ..., 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor (Paperback)
If you are interested in the way that our society feels about the eternal and present and how this has developed then this book is very interesting. Not necessarily and easy read - useful to have the dictionary handy and sometimes requiring a paragraph to be read several times to really absorb the meaning but I am sure that this reflects the way that James summarises what must be an even denser tome. Great at painting the picture and challenge and very thought provoking even though the so what do we do about it seems underdeveloped (by Charles Taylor) - but maybe this is for someone else to do.

3.0 out of 5 stars No substitute for real rhing, 24 Jun. 2014

I apologise if thus sounds unfair. It may well be of use to young students. But in old and should have remembered there's no substitute for the real thing.

How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor
How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor by James K A Smith (Paperback - 30 Jun. 2014)