Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 July 2015
I loved this book and for me it answered many questions. David Bentley writes from the Eastern Orthodox perspective and tradition. He has a sound grasp of Biblical theology and is able to relate it to the tragedies of human life and experience. It's a short book, but for all that, full of profound and well thought out arguments. I discovered David Bentley Hart a year ago when I read a commentary on St Mathew's Gospel by Stanley Hauerwas. The Doors of the Sea is one of the most helpful books I have read on the ways of God in our fragile human existence
on 5 September 2010
A succinct and profound essay on what may and may not be said about suffering from the standpoint of Christian theology. Hart takes aim at both 'opportunistic' atheistic attacks on Christianity and well-intentioned but misguided Christian 'explanations' of evil. In setting out his argument, Hart refers to many of the intellectual giants in the Christian tradition, but he explains subtle ideas carefully and lucidly. This is not an easy book and it demands at least a second reading. Fortunately it is relatively short! I for one will be reading more from this authoritative interpreter of the Christian tradition.
on 14 July 2014
I have read most of this book, and I have simply been unimpressed. There is a lot of difficult language that to my mind seems to be trying to suggest that the author is cleverer than he is. My advice would be to not use a long word where a short one will do. I am also not convinced by the arguments he proposes. It is almost as though life is tough and unfair and that the way God wants it, you must ignore the reason why but just believe and everything will be OK later.
on 14 July 2010
In this book, Hart starts off by discussing the problem of evil with relation to the Tsunami, and comparing them to Voltaire's famous criticism. This is only the beginning, as after a short while he discusses the far more profound version of the problem of evil (Dostoevsky's) and some more general aspects of living as a Christian in the fallen world. His arguments are so persuasive that one struggles to reject any of them. The only criticism of Hart I have ever heard is that he writes in such a way that one cannot disagree with him (Rowan Williams), and this is evident in this book, which is exceptionally well written. Hart could show anyone why the problem of evil is both the biggest problem, and one that every Christian has to live with.
on 10 November 2015
There are no simple answers to questions about God's goodness and the existence of suffering. But in this sensitive and thoughtful essay, Hart helps us hold on to the truth of our faith in God who in and through the resurrection of Christ, has come to rescue us from the meaningless of suffering and evil and the hopelessness of death to take us to a more glorious creation that was and is his original plan and purpose. Hart's reflection on this complex subject is robust and persuasive. This is an exceptional book by an exceptional theologian.
on 16 June 2015
The argument presented is neither persuasive nor scriptural, there are plenty of alternative solutions to the existence of pain which are more helpful and convincing. In summary, the author does not believe God is free to choose and believes in universal salvation, with one or two verses as scriptural evidence and ignoring the fact that a huge amount of contrary verses. Very disappointed by the analysis. Author needs to recognise his own arrogance and find some humility, it would make his arguments stronger.