5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-taking in its scope and depth.
Published on 26 Nov 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars The usual problem with some theological writings.
Published 2 months ago by Keith Plant

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-taking in its scope and depth., 26 Nov 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Paul: an Outline of His Theology (Paperback)
This is the classic modern exposition of Paul's thought and theology. Topically arranged, Ridderbos exposes the structure and Paul's system and sheds a calm, thorough light on such matters as Paul's meaning of law/grace, flesh/spirit, present age/age to come. Ridderbos is in line with Geerhardus Vos' biblical theology without being dependent on the great Princeton theologian.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect scholarly complement to E. W. Keyon's books., 10 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Paul: an Outline of His Theology (Paperback)
I first read this book in 1980 as part of my Bible school curriculum. I bought another copy because my old one was deteriorating from so much use. This is the only book I've found that explains Paul's Revelation from a theological standpoint, but without making it stiff and difficult to understand. A must for any Christian who shares Paul's desire to "comprehend the One by whom he has been apprehended."

3.0 out of 5 stars The usual problem with some theological writings., 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Paul: an Outline of His Theology (Paperback)
What is it with certain writers. I have read some of Ridderbos commentaries when I had been preparing various sermons and I'd swear that I found them reasonably easy to understand! However, with this book the theological jargon is raised to a whole new level. I'm using this at the moment as I'm doing 'Pauline studies' with that finest of all theological colleges WEST, but that is the only reason. I consider myself reasonably widely read when it comes to theology and I do not believe it has to be this complicated. Yes, I can understand it, but that is partly due to the fact that I'm used to the theological jargon used here, and believe you me I still find it hard work! I have read other writers that I feel just as profound but are able to write in a way that non-theological students could understand. I give this three stars (if I had my way be 2 1/2) not because there is anything particularly wrong with it but because I believe that good theology needn't be almost incomprehensible! I'm sure there is much good in it, but for this poor tried and simple minded Pastor it is proving hard going!

ARRAY(0xa0434bac)

Paul: an Outline of His Theology
Paul: an Outline of His Theology by Herman N. Ridderbos (Paperback - 5 Nov 1997)
28.99