I was very curious to read a commentary on First Corinthians written by a Pentecostal, because, at first sight, this letter seems to contradict some important teachings of this denomination, such us excessive emphasis on speaking in tongues over prophecying, the ministry of women and tithing.
Fee answers all these and many more difficulties with great insight and great class, without shying away from criticizing some issues of his own denomination when necessary.
Another interesting feature is the fact that, even though this is not a devotional work, at the end of every chapter Fee inserts his own personal comments on the argument treated, showing that he does not only possess great text-critical prowess, but also considerable pastoral insight, finding good lessons in every verse.
The only thing I would criticize about this book is the view that 14:34-35 constitute a non-Pauline interpolation, which I find really unconvincing. Personally, I think the theory that these verses are a quotation from the Corinthians' letter makes more sense.
Apart from that, this is a wonderful commentary, that greatly increased my understanding of 1 Corinthians. A must have for every Christian.
on 5 October 2013
I've always found 1 Corinthians a puzzling book. It is difficult to understand the issues the Corinthian church was having and it is difficult to apply Paul's instruction to my modern day experience.

Gordon D. Fee does a great job of both. Of course, he takes his own line through some of the more puzzling aspects, but he explains clearly why he has chosen one view over another. At the same time, I think he gives us enough information on the different views for us to decide whether we agree with him or not.

The commentary really gets to grips with the Greek language and Fee does spend some time on potential different meanings where it is important to understanding the overall sense of a passage. For this reason, this book is probably not for someone looking at 1 Corinthians for the first time - in that case, something like the Tyndale commentary might be a better place to start.

I think the most valuable aspect of this commentary is Fee's application to the modern day. I especially appreciated where he warns of pitfalls - where people have taken Paul's instruction to a church in a different time and culture and simply made them commands for today.

I don't see eye to eye with Fee on all aspects of his views on life in the Holy Spirit. However, these are all small issues that we are free to disagree on!

I bought this on the Kindle - and to my relief the formatting is fine, so Amazon appear to have fixed this issue.

This is not a cheap commentary! But I believe it is worth every penny.
on 12 April 2010
This is insane, that no one has reviewed this book before me. Because of Fee's performance in writing this book, he was awarded the position of the editor for the series, following none other than F.F. Bruce. This book set the standard for late 20th century commentary writing. And all other commentaries on 1 Corinthians must launch from this book.

This book set Fee as one of the great Pauline scholars of our generation.

Not only is the book written with all the scholarly acumen suggested above, but it is also written by someone who is fervent about preaching and the practical import of 1 Corinthians for the Church and the individual believer.
on 29 August 2014
Appears to be just what I need, however I will use it more as a reference book for sermons it will be a while before I can give my full opinion.
on 2 May 2013
A poorly produced Kindle edition that doesn't even have the correct title. I've got to the commentary on chapter 6 and there is significant missing text thus far. An awful lot of typos in some areas as well. I have emailed the publisher, but had no response.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 April 2015