1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Arcas, 24 Feb. 2008
Mr. Lee Simpson "Arcas" (Amersham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toward the Light of Liberty: The Struggles for Freedom and Rights That Made the Modern Western World (Hardcover)
I can't say this book really gripped me in the way I had hoped it would. Accounts of the various struggles for liberty were fleeting and are covered in much better detail elsewhere. Much of it, including its conclusions, seem pretty much a statement of the obvious. Having said that, I would stand alongside the author in the importance attached to the long and painful struggles for human rights and liberties and the threats to losing them from under our noses in modern 'democratic' societies.

I was a little amazed to be informed that William IV was the father of Queen Victoria and then later on in the book that James II was the grandson of Charles I. If simple errors like this can be made in the first place and then be allowed to go forward to publication it indicates a certain lack of polish.

Used & New from: £1.94