5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh approach
Published on 17 May 2007 by Honeypie

3.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful but can put off non-Christians
I personally was given this book by my wife to read and I wish I had read it 10 years ago. The author is very right when he says that the "in-love" feeling that we first experience when we meet someone can disappear in the first 2 years of marriage. Once the "in-love" emotion disappears we wonder why we loved that person to begin with. Thus begins the excuses we...
Published on 28 May 2008 by Swing Trader

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh approach, 17 May 2007
Honeypie (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent in every respect. It is for indiviuals and/or couples, is very easy to read, not preachy, full of practical ideas and exercises (rather than endless theory)and most importantly full of HOPE for a more fulfilling life. It provides insights that can help those who just want to improve the good marriages they already have. But it can really help those struggling with a troubled marriage, whether as a result of infidelity, those wondering why they don't love their partner they way they used to or just the the ups and downs of marriage. Importantly, the author gives ideas that can be practiced whether or not your partner wants to participate in the improvment process. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars now you're speaking my language..., 31 Oct 2003
Larry Hehn "Christian in the Rough" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
Would you like to become a better communicator of love to your spouse? Would you like to reap the rewards of having a spouse whose "love tank" is full, and keeps yours full as well?
Love is a choice, not an emotion. Gary Chapman explains that after the "falling in love" stage of a relationship, which can last up to two years, we settle back in to reality. The rose colored glasses are removed and we begin to see our spouse for the person they really are, warts and all.
When the sparks begin to fizzle, Hollywood tells us that it is time to move on to another relationship. Chapman, on the other hand, reveals that we now have the opportunity to solidify and deepen the relationship through learning how to effectively communicate our love for our spouse.
He introduces us to the five love languages: quality time, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service and physical touch. Each of us express our love using these different languages and their dialects. If our language is different from that of our spouse, our expressions of love may not be understood and appreciated.
This book helps us identify and use the love languages that are meaningful to ourselves and our spouse. Chapman uses real-life examples to illustrate each language, with a dash of biblical passages to support his material.
The love languages are simple, and they work -- not only between husband and wife, but with children as well. My wife and I are polar opposites in love languages. By learning to express our love in ways that are more meaningful to each other, our honeymoon is thirteen years strong.
Get this book, read it, share it, apply it, and your "love tanks" will never be empty again.
Larry Hehn, Author of Get the Prize: Nine Keys for a Life of Victory

5.0 out of 5 stars A most valuable read for anyone in a love relationship, 17 Feb 2000
I found this book most enlightening. Chapman describes how we each have our own natural 'language of love' (eg affirming words, acts of service, touch, etc..) just as we have a mother tongue. He describes how we tend to use this language to show love, and how this may be completely inappropriate for our partner if they have a different love language. In such a case it doesn't speak love at all (as helpful as 2 people speaking completely different languages trying to communicate perfectly). So, the book gives clues to identifying one own's language and that of one's partner so that one can appropriately express love in a way that the partner feels loved. Encouragingly, Chapman includes examples of relationships that have been turned around from the brink of break-up because of these simple lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing read, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts (Paperback)
I stumbled across this book at a difficult time in my marriage and it literally changed my life....understanding my Husband's love language and how it differed from mine allowed me to show him in the way he needed how much he meant to me and in return he has made a real effort to learn my love language too. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the One You're With (Better), 5 Oct 2004
In an effort to help mates understand how to love each other, Gary Chapman tries to organize the communication of love in five styles. He tries to help the reader understand which style(s) they respond to most, and to ask the reader to think what language the one they want to love 'hears' most clearly.
In "The Five Love Languages: Five Love Languages," Chapman isn't saying love only happens the way he says. Instead, he is giving a framework to love one another better. This way, we (especially we men), aren't shooting in the dark. Often, we want to love better than we do, and work hard, but miss the mark because we are, in essence, speaking another language.
Chapman tells us that we often love the way we'd like to be loved, and that so does our spouse love us the way they'd like to be love. This can help us discover who we are, and more importantly, how we can love.
Some romantic relationship books take the angle that men are different than women -- and that's true, but rather this a book about communications styles. In fact, he'll assert that men and women might prefer any of the five 'languages'.
The success of this book isn't in learning the styles, but in the active use of them in our relationships. It is easy to read, but with deep consequences.
I fully recommend "The Five Love Languages: Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman.
Anthony Trendl

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to speak your mate's love language, 6 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Are you sure you know what makes your mate feel loved? If you can answer "yes" without hesitation you are either very lucky or (more likely?) too hasty. Reading this book made me understand more fully what I thought I knew already: Human beings are different. One person's way of expressing love may mean little to another person. Gary Chapman identifies five basic ways of expressing love: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Acts of Service, Giving Gifts, and Physical Touch. If you and your mate speaks different "love languages" AND NONE OF YOU REALIZE IT, disappointments and problems are in store. E.g, imagine you give your mate a gift that you put a lot of work or money in, but s/he would much rather just be together with you for an hour. Both of you will be disappointed, you because the gift what not taken as the love sign it was meant to be, your mate because you spent time on the gift instead of spending time on him/her. Turn the story around and imagine the joy possible if you both know what will make each other feel loved and both express love in the mate's love language. The book is an easy read, full of examplifying stories from real life, and avoids the pitfall of easy solutions to hard problems. There are a few Scripture references in each chapter, which is a plus from my point of view, but the book can be read without those by anybody ready to think of the loved one before thinking of oneself. One reservation about me: I am a bachelor, and this is mostly a marriage book, though the principles of the book can be applied to family and people around me. At least I know what to give my cousin when she is married at the end of the summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Glory of Love!, 9 July 2009
I have found this book so helpful in my relationship. It's been nice to discover the "love language" my husband resonates with so that I can keep his "love tank" full. Author, Gary Chapman, suggests that we each have a love language, i.e. words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service or physical touch. When partners speak each other's love language to the other, both feel love and satisfaction within the relationship (a full love tank). I love that this book gives people new tools to relating with love. It's really been fun to try out Chapman's suggestions and reap the loving benefits.

Another awesome book that empowers relationships is Ariel & Shya Kanes' How to Create a Magical Relationship: The 3 Simple Ideas that Will Instantaneously Transform Your Love Life. I read this book - this book won the 2007 Nautilus Book Award in the category of Relationships / Men & Women's Issues - and it is accurately awarded! If you're looking to experience the simplicity and magic of loving relationships (with consistency - really!), you have to check out this book. The language of love is easy to speak with the help of authors like Gary Chapman and Ariel & Shya Kane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Feb 2007
F. Dixon "missusbucket" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book is recommeded by the Marriage Course ( a course to help strengthen relationships). its easy to get bogged down in life and forget your partner. it helps you understand how you and they feel loved, something which we need to get right. people feel loved in different ways and not necessarily the way that you yourself feels love.

I reccommend this along with doing The Marriage Course (a course that is available throughout the country) It consists of 7 nights with a meal, a dvd talk and a workbook. its like an 7 week long date and helps to reignite communication and dealing with life together and face conflicts. Do a google to find your local one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 19 Nov 2006
My wife tried to get me to read this book soon after we got married. Being a guy, I didn't want to read some girly book about love though! O what a mistake! Nine years later, I had a change of heart and discovered that I had missed out on so much in the last nine years because I didn't understand the language my wife was speaking. If you want to be able to show your spouse that you love them and/or you are confused about why they don't seem to show you love, then read this book. It will open up a whole new world of understanding for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what a self-help book ought to be., 27 Aug 2003
Adam Khan (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Chapman's information is clear, simple, and practical. He uses good illustrations, and the idea really makes a difference. I'm the author of the book, Self-Help Stuff That Works, so I guess you could say I'm an expert on self-help, and this is self-help at it's finest!
The idea that people differ in what gets through to them, in what really makes them feel loved, is one of those that after you hear it you think, "That is so obvious, I should have thought of it myself," but it had never occurred to me. I was, however, immediately able to put the idea into practice, and it made a huge difference in my marriage. I highly recommend this book. The tape is also good, and a good way to keep the basic ideas fresh in your mind while you work them into your life.

The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts
The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman (Paperback - 1 Feb 2010)
7.79