4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE HEED WARNING - ALSO PUBLISHED AS THE LATE NIGHT NEWS.
I wish I had read the previous reviews properly as I would have seen the warning myself. As it is, I now have two copies of the same book.

Published 16 months ago by blossom

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Familiar?
Please be warned, this book is the same as Late Night News.
The title Deadline In Athens, was given to the US publication - to the very best of my knowledge.!
Published on 25 Sept. 2007 by Gordon the Greek

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Familiar?, 25 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Deadline in Athens (Paperback)
Please be warned, this book is the same as Late Night News.

3.0 out of 5 stars Also published as The Late Night News, 8 Dec. 2013
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Deadline in Athens (Paperback)
This was a fairly average who-done-it, lifted from the ordinary by the insights into crime detection after the dictatorship of Greece. Set in the 1990s, this feels very dated - not a mobile phone to be seen. Nobody questions police brutality and corruption is rife.
When two Albanians are murdered there is little concern, foreign deaths are of minimal interest to the police. But Inspector Costas Haritos is disturbed by the reaction of a young, energetic news reporter, Yanna Karayoryi, who implies that there is more to the case than meets the eye. When she is subsequently murdered following her declaration that she planned to make an announcement on the late night news, it becomes clear that she knew more than she was letting on.
The crimes for which the Albanians were murdered did make the book more interesting, but it took quite a while to get to these and I was not grabbed by the earlier chapters.

Costas was not a particularly likable character, in fact there were few in the story. I was particularly irritated by the constant sniping and petty arguments he had with his wife, they seemed to live together just to annoy one another.
Although the struggle to achieve anything when constantly thwarted by both the TV channels and the higher authorities was well portrayed and symptomatic of the era, there was too much description of routes through Greece, which should have been edited out in the translated version.

Not an author I shall be searching out in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE HEED WARNING - ALSO PUBLISHED AS THE LATE NIGHT NEWS., 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Deadline in Athens (Paperback)

Still, I did find it an enjoyable story with an interesting main character who is full of flaws, as we all are. I have known many Greeks (not necessarily in Greece itself,& certainly not police) & I was able to relate to some of the idiosyncrasies shown here, which I believe may be almost national character traits.

His familial relationships are similar to what a lot of us have known.

Yet, it is his life as a policeman which makes him what he is.

Athens is a backdrop, but not the Athens most tourists know. Then again, why should it be?

All in all, I enjoyed the story, & was looking forward to reading another in the series, only to find it was the same story dressed in a different title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder and Mayhem in Athens, 11 Aug. 2013
Raewyne (Sydney, NSW, AU) - See all my reviews
being a lover of all things Greek (grecophille) I certainly enjoyed this book
and now await another in this series

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Deadline in Athens (Paperback)
I found this an interesting above average detective novel . it gives a good picture of athens gripping enoughto keep you glued to its pages right to the end

5.0 out of 5 stars complicated but engrossing, 1 Mar. 2014
Engrossing. Unable to put down. Took only two days to finish. Could not put it down. Ended too quickly. Superb.

Deadline in Athens
Deadline in Athens by Petros Markaris (Paperback - 30 Jun. 2005)