5.0 out of 5 stars Joan, Stop this crazy thing!, 2 Oct 2003
Istanbul!
Applause, applause...
I just finished reading Matt Ruff's "Sewer, Gas and Electric" and I wish he were here before me so I could give him a one-man standing ovation.
I picked this book up in an airport bookstore, having looked at it several times before. This time, I was caught - I could not resist the ghost of Ayn Rand in a hurricane lamp or the mutant great white nicknamed "Meisterbrau". Five hours later I was breathlessly reading the last page.
So what's good about it? The writing is funny without being condescending or slapstick. The philosophy is interesting for those of us who walked in off the streets without having bought the "Atlas Shrugged" ticket. The characters are amazingly fleshed out, and even the villains have redeeming qualities and sympathetic motives.
If you like your humor broad, your books thoughtful and your day weird, this book ought to do the trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alfred Bester meets Neal Stephenson, 26 Nov 2007
This review is from: Sewer, Gas & Electric (Public Works Trilogy (Grove Press)) (Paperback)
And it's twice as much fun. Really, every single character in this novel is lovable, well fleshed out, and fits with the rest of the team as a fractal 3-d puzzle. Neal Stephenson recommended it, and I followed, and I couldn't be happier about it.
And there's a plot, too. Ecoguerrillas attack capitalist guerrilla, and battle it out in the high seas, helped out by none other than HMS City of Women. Mutant Carcharodons eat bewildered boy scouts. And there's a conspiracy hidden in Disneyland.
Really, you should read this. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wonderful, 20 Aug 2008
Mr. Dan Simpson (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
Matt Ruff displays unbelievable imagination and creativity. It makes you wonder, why can't all fiction be written in this way? This book makes everything else seem boring and flat.

Sewer, Gas & Electric (Public Works Trilogy (Grove Press))