5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I ordered, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Klaeber's 'Beowulf' (Toronto Old English) (Toronto Old English Studies) (Paperback)
Best academic edition of this poem out there. I got just what I ordered and it was just what I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The new standard, 23 Sep 2013
ARD13 (Perth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a worthy continuation of Klaeber's work. Everything has been updated but it follows the principles of his great editions.

The introduction and commentary address the insights and preoccupations of the last fifty years without overlooking the older scholarship that remains important and interesting. The coverage can no longer hope to be comprehensive, but it gives enough information to illuminate without overwhelming and provides references that the reader can follow up.

Only a few illustrations are given. I found it frustrating to be frequently referred to other books (which I don't have) for pictures of artefacts under discussion.

The text remains fairly conservative. The further diacritical marks that have been added to indicate pronunciation and/or etymology are very welcome. The fount is very clear.

I find the paperback disappointingly floppy but that doesn't reduce its usefulness.

I hadn't hoped that a new print edition could be realised as well as this. It will be a pleasure to use this for as long as I had used Klaeber's third edition.

Klaeber's 'Beowulf' (Toronto Old English) (Toronto Old English Studies)
30.99