5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for all lovers of bridal wear.
Published on 10 Mar 2001 by g.shelley@eclipse.co.uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Technically sound, tastefully dire.
Technical information is well presented, and in a logical order. Difficult areas are illustrated with clear diagrams. BUT the dresses used as examples REALLY REALLY MING! I have no idea what is currently fashionable as American bridal wear, but there is no way on earth I'd go out the door in some of these examples, even for money! That said, they are only examples,...
Published on 12 Mar 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for all lovers of bridal wear., 10 Mar 2001
This review is from: Bridal Couture: A Guide to Dressmaking Skills for Creating Beautiful Custom Wedding Gowns (Paperback)
As a partner in a bridal wear design company, I found this book to be very well explained, with good clear illustrations and excellent descriptions of couture techniques. The style is economic so the reader doesn't get lost, the author has concentrated on the quality of the content resulting in a quick reference book packed with useful information and handy tips. All of the most popular bridal wear fabrics are covered in detail, and most of the more common manufacturing problems are dealt with. Even if you are making dresses in less traditional styles, you will still find this book invaluable. I was particularly pleased to note that Susan Khalje has included linen amongst her choice of wedding fabrics, proof that she understands not only the modern but also the traditional aspects of bridal couture. A must-have for all designers and lovers of bridal wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars If couture means the best, then this book is Couture!, 27 Dec 1997
By A Customer
Couture. The finest workmanship, with the finest design, with the finest fabric, with the finest instuctor. Susan Khalje fills the need for instruction in the fine art of Bridal Couture. Her instruction is precise, and easy to understand with lovely photos to guide the student through the process of creating a couture gown. Attention is given not only to construction, but to fabric selection, and expert fit. This book is truly a must for dressmakers who strive for the perfection of couture.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very detailed book covering advanced sewing techniques, 21 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This book is full of beautiful, inspiring photographs and detailed information on sewing couture gowns. However, one thing I think it lacked was suggestions for simpler dresses, many brides nowadays have simple, low-key weddings that require less elaborate dresses and these may be within the sewing skills of less experienced sewers. This book is really for the more experienced dressmakers only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written and Illustrated, 31 Oct 1997
By A Customer
I find that the book is excellent for those who want to expand their sewing skills for ballroom gowns and wedding dresses. The illistrations and plain english that are used have really help me to understand how to improve my skills. Also excellent definitions of various types of fabric and practical application of such.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE for anyone attempting a bridal gown!, 27 Dec 1997
By A Customer
Susan Khalje's book provides comprehensive information on all aspects of bridal and special occasion gown construction. From fabric selection and handling, lace description and application, to fitting and finishing, she provides excellent instruction and visuals which makes such an undertaking less daunting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful techniques, 31 Aug 2012
This book contains useful techniques including much on working with lace. The designs are very dated however the construction techniques are sound and clearly described.

If the price of this book puts you off you can find the entire book on the author's website, susankahlje.com, available as a CDrom disc to download and print or play on your computer. I paid $39.95 plus $5.00 shipping, approx 28.35.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book to treasure, 25 Jun 2005
S. Johnson (Washington, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for dressmakers, would - be dressmakers and for those who just love wedding gowns and working with beautiful fabrics. The technical advice is clear, instructions well illustrated and the data regarding fabric properties both useful and informative. The gowns and embellishments although perhaps a little conservative are nevertheless inspirational and thought provoking which is precisely what such a book should aim for. I particularly found the quote from Gianni Versace most interesting: '....It's a designers role to make people dream...' This book certainly made me dream and I just couldn't wait to get started on a new project. As well as being a truly useful book it is also a book which can be enjoyed for its own sake and most worthy of a place on the bookshelf of such readers. A welcome addition to the home dressmaking library and a book I shall treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can do it ! that 's what you think when you read this book, 16 Mar 2001
Alicia Scott (North Lincs, North Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book late last year when I was thinking of making my own wedding dress.I read it cover to cover and found a wealth of information that gave me the confidence to go ahead with the project. Although there was nothing in the way of design that totally appealed to me I was able to use many of the techniques and apply them in the construction of my own gown. A must for anyone wanting to make their own dress be it for a wedding or not. I found the section on fabric choice very useful as I am getting married abroad and needed something that would travell well.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're making your own dress you must get this!, 19 Mar 2008
Sarah Marshall "sam" (England) - See all my reviews
This is a great book to learn how to create your own dress. I'd only made a few things from patterns before I'd decided I would make my own but this gave me everything I need to know. There were only a few of the dresses that were to my taste I looked else where for inspiration but it was actually learning the techniques to make sure I didn't go up the aisle in something that screamed home-made that I got from this book.

I can see how some inexperienced sewers may find some instructions a little complicated but I also have a copy of 'Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated' which togther these two books made me a wonderful dress I could truely say was unique and at a fifth of the price. I would also recommend buying 'Wedding Dress Sourcebook: Visual sourcebook of over 200 of the most beautiful........' by Philip Delamore. This will explain everything about the shape of dress that suits you, different cuts of skirt, neckline, sleeves etc. With these three books coupled with mag/website ideas you can make the dress you want no matter what your ability - I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 9 Aug 2001
This is a great book, it has beautiful photos and shows you, step by step how to make several of the dresses shown. I was confused about 'hong kong' seam finishes which the book doesn't explain. But, it explains fancy fabrics and how to sew them, and lots of other sewing techniques including how, where and why to bone garments and most ways to finish edges. It is a good reference, and I'm pleased to have it.

Used & New from: 74.89