Format: PaperbackChange

on 21 January 2014
This is a wonderful book that explains both the physics and the mathematics very well. Other reviewers have already written about the specifics that make this a good book.

The reason why I give only four stars is that the Kindle edition is pretty awful. If you care about beautiful typesetting of mathematics you should buy the paper version of this book, because all the formulas are set as low-resolution images (as seen on retina display). This is really distracting, and frankly unacceptable. The problem of typesetting mathematics on screen has already been solved (e.g., using MathML), and I am really disappointed that Kindle does not seem to support this. In addition, the regular text typesetting is also rather ugly, with bad kerning all over the place. Waiting a couple of days for the physical copy is worth it, in my opinion.
on 1 April 2013
Very well written book. Strikes a good balance between explaining the mathematical concepts of the calculus of variations and the physical insights that Noether's theorem supplies into the conservation of energy, momentum, etc. Very illuminating, I would recommend it to anyone with a reasonable mathematical background (a couple of years,say, at undergrad level)
on 25 February 2014
I found this a very accessible introduction to Emmy Noerther's theorem. Physics is very much my weak point but the explanations are instructive and I enjoyed the read.
on 28 September 2014
A text book not a popular account but this gem of a theorem is well developed in this treatment which is just as is it should be.
Not light reading but illuminating.
on 12 November 2014
It is a very interesting introduction to the work of Emmy Noether and it implications.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2015
The Maths invoved were too much for me to comprehend the text properly
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2014
The book was delivered in time. It is in excellent condition. I will definitely use this supplier again. This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to understand the connection between symmetry and conservation laws in Physics. Highly recommended, especially to those who are just beginning their study in Quantum field theory.
11 comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2014
I got as far as page 28 where the author states what he calls "the fundamental lemma of the calculus of variations". Unfortunately, the lemma as he states it is false. (For a counter-example, just put a = 0 , b = 2 pi, eta (t) = sin (t) and A(t) = 1.)

If the author can not get even a "fundamental lemma" right, what chance is there that he can get anything else right ? And why should I read any further, since I can no longer trust what he writes?

I can guess what he may have meant to write, but I don't buy a book like this so that I can waste my time struggling to guess the author's intentions. I expect him to make his meaning clear, and to state his theorems correctly.
22 comments7 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse