5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, amazing, left me speachless...
Published on 21 Nov 2001 by andykennedy84@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars STAY ALIVE, MY SON
This is a heartbreaking personal story that makes you wonder at the amount of human suffering a person can survive. I cannot believe how one human being can treat another in such a terrible way and how people can be brain-washed or become so scared that they allow themselves to be dominated by other power - mad persons. This was even more heart-wrenching because I have...
Published on 26 April 2010 by ROONEY

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, amazing, left me speachless..., 21 Nov 2001
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Paperback)
This is a story about the survival of a man in one of the most derifying regimes in history. This tells of Pin Yathay's struggle against the ruthless Khmer Rouge. It explains how he lost his whole family to illness, execution, starvation, exhaustion and mere disappearance. It is amazing to realise that other countries are out under so much terror by a brainwashed minority. This book is an easy read, however is very difficult to come to terms with the scale of things. The year before Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge came to power, Cambodia had a population of almost 8 million; after five years in power, the population had been reduced to just over five and a half million people. I would recommend this to anybody interested in hitory, or who wants something to read. I will guarantee this will be very hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most moving book I have ever read, 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Paperback)
Words cannot describe the impact this book had on me. I have never been so moved by something I have read. It brings to life the unimaginable suffering inflicted by the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia in an honest compelling and easy to read style. It's hard to read, because it shows how easily evil can spread. But it is also an extremely inspiring book because it shows the remarkable endurance of the human spirit and the love between families which the khmer rouge couldn't destroy.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Paperback)
I remember watching the telly and seeing Khmer soldiers marching, it is such a shame that the World stood by and let this happen, I also spent 6mths in Cambodia,doing charity work and visited most of the places in this book,and it was quite haunting and disturbing to actually walk the routes, and places detailed in this book when reading this book,( my first time in Cambodia,) you can actually feel the pain and fear of this man but no-one can ever truely experiance what he actually went through,of all the books I have read about human endurance this is the most compelling, and gripping I will be keeping tabs on this copy as my last one somehow got lost being passed from hand to hand, this is most definatly a must read ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Dec 2009
S. Else "Curious" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Paperback)
I bought this book whilst travelling in Cambodia and thought it was the most amazing survival story I had ever read! Truly brave and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful account of life under the Khmer Rouge, 13 Sep 2008
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Paperback)
This is the most amazing story of human endurance on the part of the author, and of human depravity on the part of the Khmer Rouge. How countless members of KR could have been brainwashed into thinking they were acting in the best interests of their country while their educated compatriots were reduced to starved corpses.
The cities were emptied, millions relocated and forced to work 'for the good of Ankar', growing rice and clearing new land. Food was more and more rationed, while the KR grew fat on the proceeds - communism gone mad.
The author and his family became weaker and weaker, many of them gaining release only by death. Their only hope was escape over the mountains to Thailand. Only the author made it, 18 members of his family lost.
Of a population of over 7 million, 30% lost their lives.
This is a story of struggle and determination.
It deserves to be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, inspring, and very readable, 30 Jun 2004
J. R. Ekins "chunky" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is an inspiring story of survival in the most appalling circumstances. This is very much in the mode of those books by Loung Ung, Haing Ngor and Chanrithy Him. It is not a "I was there too" story.
There is a really dreadful incident while the author and a small group are attempting to escape to Thailand. The group breaks up, possibly having been spotted by a Khmer Rouge patrol. The author, his wife and another woman, continue on, and eventually they get split up in the jungle. Suddenly there is the realisation that the author is alone. I read on, gripped, expecting or hoping that that somehow they would meet again, but no they didn't. Sometime later he reflects some time later on what may have happened to his wife (possibly succumbed to starvation, captured by a patrol, eaten by an animal).
Buy it, and try and imagine how bad the Khmer Rouge really were.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 2 May 2004
Nicola Arthur (Tunbridge wells, Kent England) - See all my reviews
I found this book was excellently written and very moving. The author has such a terrible time under the Khmer Rouge regime and then has to take the agonising decision that to escape and have a chance of surviving with his wife he will have to leave his son behind. I do not have children myself but I can imagine that this must be the most awful thing for any parent to do. Even after he's left his son and escaped, you hope him and his wife will get to safety but then they are parted and he is left completely alone. This book was heart wrenching and I don't think you could fail to be moved by the horrors he endures and the decisions he faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely moving, 10 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Hardcover)
The horror of the Khmer Rouge is movingly portayed and shocks you to the very core in this account of the genocide in Cambodia. It is beautifully written and very readable, as all of Yathays emotions feel unnervingly real.

5.0 out of 5 stars but the sad, true story of Pin Yathey's life during the ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Stay Alive, My Son (Paperback)
I purchased a copy of this book during a trip to Cambodia last month, with the aim of gaining greater insight into the recent history and this stunning country. Not only did it provide the additional knowledge I sought, but the sad, true story of Pin Yathey's life during the brutality of the Khmer Rouge's reign of terror affected me deeply. If you're visiting Cambodia, I cannot recommend this book enough. Even if not, this story will captivate you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, 7 Feb 2014
Y. Pees (Canvey Island, Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I could not put the book down, an unforgettable account of family man Pin Yathay, a survivor of the Khymer Rouge regime. Pin Yathay recalls with amazing detail of his life after the Khymer Rouge drove everyone from their homes, jobs and lives in Phnom Penh. Losing his home, children and family in a detailed account of what life was like under the Regime and a true story of one man's amazing survival.

Stay Alive, My Son
Stay Alive, My Son by Pin Yathay (Paperback - 30 Oct 2000)
14.60