5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing new context for the Salem trials and Puritanism, 2 Mar 1998
By A Customer
Reis manages to make us look at the Salem trials as a religious event that takes place in a religious society. Rather than concentrating upon the petty squabbles that may (or may not) have provided the immediate catalyst for accusations, she shows us how Puritan women were taught to view sin and how they increasingly thought of themselves as inherently sinful. Somehow, she manages to make us understand the terrible torment that the accused women suffered in their trials but also in their souls. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the Salem episode or women and religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very illuminating book on Salem witchcraft trials, 25 Feb 1998
By A Customer
I've always been fascinated by the Salem witchcraft trials, read all the books, seen all the movies. I didn't think there was much new to be said that I hadn't already heard, but I got this book anyway. And it was fabulous! Reis has a whole different take on the witchcraft trials. It was always puzzling to me why these women, who obviously weren't guilty, gave such convincing confessions in their trials. Reis put this all in the context of how the Puritans thought about religion and about gender. Great book.

Damned Women: Sinners and Witches in Puritan New England
Damned Women: Sinners and Witches in Puritan New England by Elizabeth Reis (Paperback - 21 Jan 1999)
12.50