4.0 out of 5 stars Carson Does it Again, 1 Jan. 2014
S. Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians (Paperback)
You can read my full review here:[...]
[...]
***In Brief Summary

What is wisdom? Seeing Christ, His servitude, the cross, how He glorified the Father, and living in light of that.

(Chapter 1)

My preaching, whether in a church or to one person, should be centered on the message (the cross) rather than the form to show myself as impressive.

(Chapter 2)

I may think I am so wise, but I must remember I don't know anything about God unless the Spirit reveals it to me. " For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?" (1 Cor. 4:7).

(Chapter 3)

If that is the case, why should I boast over any other preacher? Nobody has all the answers. It would be immature for me to make a special, secluded group if we are all the temple of God. The leaders are only doing what God gives them.

(Chapter 4)

So why should I strive to be a leader? The fame? The freedom? What about all that responsibility? The suffering? If Jesus is my example I cannot be arrogant, I am not the main character.

(Chapter 5)

So if we are all the temple of God, our allegiance to Him surpasses any culture. It doesn't matter what country you own up to, you are now a citizen of heaven. You do have rights, and you will have to give up those rights at times for the sake of the gospel.

***The Chocolate Milk

+ The final section (2:1-5) was of great benefit. Rather than paying mind to soon-to-be-eclipsed cultural values that could get in the way of our Cross-focused lives, Carson gives enduring principles from Paul on what should be at the forefront of our minds.

+ When necessary, Carson looks over to the Greek word to find the real meaning behind the translation. 1 Cor. 1:20 says, "Where is the scholar?" yet Paul's actually speaking of the grammateus as a scribe, a Jew who knew the law of God.
Does it make much of a difference? It helps to clarify that he is speaking to both Gentile and Jew, and perhaps people wouldn't know that right off by seeing only the word "scholar."

***The Spoiled Milk

While I do go into some detail about this on my blog, the points are merely minor. I have no major issue with Carson and this book, except that sometimes he can be dry or bewildering (unlike his book on Christian Maturity in 2 Corinthians). There were times where I would stop and ask myself, "What does this have to do with the passage, or even what Carson was just talking about?" All in all, I found this to be a very good exegetical-overview (it doesn't cover every verse) book on the first 4 chapters and chapter 9 of 1 Corinthians.

***Recommended?

Carson is a clear writer, and a great expositor. He does a magnificent job of keeping the book cross-centered, always keeping our eyes on our Lord and Savior, and not ourselves. There are no tips and tricks on how to be a successful Christian leader in this book, just how to be a humble servant of Christ as He showed us through His perfect example.

this book is recommended (like his book on Christian Maturity in 2 Corinthians).

[A big thanks to Brianna at Baker Publishing for allowing me a free copy to read and review! I was not obligated to give a positive review in return for this book.]

5.0 out of 5 stars A completely relevant, up-to-date and topical book for the Christian and the Church today, 6 Feb. 2014
S. Littleton (UK) - See all my reviews
DA Carson gives a clear explanation of 1 Corinthians and of the absolute necessity of keeping the Cross central to all that we do as individuals and as a Church as we serve the the LORD. He provides clear examples of how this should be done and of the dangers inherent in losing sight of the Cross in our ministry. Be encouraged and challenged to keep CHRIST and the Cross central to all you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 11 Aug. 2014
Anyone who purports to be a minister of the gospel really ought to read this book - especially in the light of the sad developments in the ministry of Mark Driscoll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 April 2015
Excellent from Don as always

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Dec. 2014
excellent product thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
Great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cross & Christian Miinistry, 12 Nov. 2010
Pete Dowse (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
A helpful exposition which uses some of the alternative patterns of leadership in 1st century Corinth to highlight dangers faced by Christian leaders today.

The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available