Format: PaperbackChange

on 24 February 2012
Fascinating as the subject matter is, I was disappointed to read in the Preface to the 3rd edition that they had largely adopted a gender neutering approach to translation.

Regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with this approach, it makes one feel that one is reading a somewhat 'sanitised' version of what the Apostolic Fathers actually wrote. I, as the reader, want to read what the Fathers *actually* wrote, regardless of whether their masculine orientated language is offensive to my modern sensibilities. Not to do so strikes me as denying the reality of the world in those times.

A particularly troubling comment in the preface was: 'various strategies were used to avoid inclusive use of masculine pronouns wherever possible' !!! Unbelievable.

Seriously Baker, leave it as it was written. It is patronising to the reader to say such things - as though we cannot bear to even *read* the male dominated language that the Apostolic Fathers wrote with!

I would recommend that the buyer go for the 2nd edition instead, as from what I gather this one is free from these kind of politically correct tamperings. The ISBN codes for the 2nd edition are:

ISBN-10: 0801021995
ISBN-13: 978-0801021992
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations
The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations by Michael W. Holmes (Hardcover - 1 Nov. 2007)

The Apostolic Fathers
The Apostolic Fathers by J. B. Lightfoot (Hardcover - Nov. 1989)

Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers (Classics)
Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers (Classics) by Andrew Louth (Paperback - 30 April 1987)