5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best way of learning biblical Hebrew
I have been trying to learn Hebrew as a part of my theological education at university, but so far in vain. The material used in class focuses mainly on grammar and less on reading and understanding, and I find it extremely difficult to learn parsing, rules, exceptions, etc. by heart. And fortunately I don't have to any more. I bought Dobson's excellent book, and as...
Published on 27 Mar. 2008 by Ruben Fønsbo

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mass of Confusion
Published on 25 Mar. 2011 by Dr Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars The One and Only Hebrew Learning Book You Will Ever Need!, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
I've been using this book since August 2005 when I first began learning Hebrew just before going to uni to read Biblical Studies. I wanted to get an advantage over my classmates and have the confidence to pass my exams. This book certainly helped me achieve that. Now, nearly 9 years later, using this user friendly textbook, I'm about to teach from it and earn a full time living.

Long Live Israel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hebrew Book and CD Rom, 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
I got to know this author from his Greek publication. I wanted to hear the Hebrew language spoken, hence the purchase. A most helpful work in this field and highly recommended. A bargain at the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the beginner, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
Great little book which is accompanied with a Cd to help the student advance there understanding of ancient Hebrew, especially great for the layman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 31 Mar. 2006
Alan Smith (CLECKHEATON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
This book has a friendly, approachable style, and is beautifully printed. There may be too much emphasis on translation, where most students, I would guess, simply wish to be able to read the Hebrew text. Some peaople may find the layout of points of grammar confusing and unhelpful, though I suspect this may be deliberate and in line with the author's inductive approach.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mass of Confusion, 25 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
I would not recommend this book to people who want to seriously understand biblical Hebrew. It is extremely confusing. The chapters are all over the place. Vocabulary is strewn everywhere. Grammatical points are poorly presented and hard to grasp let alone remember. I have never before in my life seen a grammar with such visual "noise". The eye simply doesn't know where to focus! Much older works like Davidson's Hebrew grammar are better because they give clearly delineated and unambiguous a) grammar; b) vocab; and c)translation exercises in that simple order (with a key). Dobson however fragments Hebrew grammar to such an extent that it is impossible to see the whole. Beware of teach yourself Hebrew books that promise you an easy way out of having to do hard work. Hebrew is a difficult language (especially at the beginning). I think in this particular case one should note that Dobson's book is not used in colleges or universities in the UK which offer Hebrew courses. There has to be a reason for this. I think I've given some reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Aug. 2014
Quick receipt still studing

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Reference, 20 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
The book is a good reference guide, but the CD is pretty much useless. It's just a rush thru' of some passages. I use this book along with a Degree course and it is a help. The claim of speaking Hebrew passages in 2 hours is a joke! 3/5 for me... Could have done much more with the CD....

Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM]
Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] by John H Dobson (Hardcover - 1 April 2005)
Used & New from: £25.47