1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea!, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: More Light on the Path: Daily Scripture Readings in Hebrew and Greek (Paperback)
This is an excellent idea for a book and well executed.

I doing a theological degree and had just completed a year of both Greek and Hebrew. One of my tutors recommended this as a simple way of keeping both languages ticking over the summer so I wouldn't return to the intermediates stages having utterly forgotten everything.

But, good and useful as this book is, it still requires the discipline. Ultimately, it's hard work however you come to it. I had a much less productive summer in this regard, but the book did help lessen the brutal impact on my return to these languages in my second year.

Anyway, it is a daily devotional book. There is a themed title and a few lines giving a kind of thought for the day. I found these quite irritating and stopped reading them after a while. Then follows a verse or two in Hebrew, and another reading in Greek. No English translation for these are given, though if you get stuck they are referenced.

As someone who had just completed his first years study in these languages, I found some parts to be a little tricky, but also generally do-able. I didn't write anything on the book itself, so in the future I can just start over when (and if) I ever finish it.

This book was helpful to me in my situation and would likely be very helpful, as intended, for people who have graduated and are no longer forced to study the languages (pastors, for example). If you don't know both Hebrew and Greek, you may wonder if it is worth paying for a not-cheap book that you can only use half of, but that is up to you.

As I said, a good idea done well (apart from the silly English bits).

More Light on the Path: Daily Scripture Readings in Hebrew and Greek