Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 June 1999
This is the best commentary on Romans I have ever read, and it is one of the best on any book for that matter. Unlike many commentators, Schreiner does not just focus on verses as isolated, independent thought units. He has a strong concern for flow of thought. Schreiner's treatment of theological issues is exemplary. Occasionally, he advocates some idiosyncratic positions, but he argues very well for them.
on 2 June 2014
This is an excerpt from my full review on my blog (found through my Amazon profile).

I read virtually every word of this tome, but it was far from a chore. Schreiner has offered an outstanding work on Romans that (mostly) isn’t showing its age. So why this commentary? I would certainly recommend this work as the baseline commentary that one primarily works with, using others to see different views or for different purposes. Comparing to a few similar works, this is longer than Kruse’s (PNTC) and, despite having many conclusions in common, takes a broader approach than Moo’s due to the BECNT structure. Students, teachers and pastors will all benefit from this work. I can only add to the chorus of endorsements for Thomas Schreiner’s Romans commentary.

[Many thanks to SPCK Publishers for providing a copy of Thomas Schreiner's Romans commentary in exchange for a fair review]
on 5 April 2015
Good thing is Schreiner gives what other scholars have said. It is necessary however to compare with other major commentaries e.g. Murray, Moo, Cranfield, Wright. I am still comparing. Note that Schreiner has changed his exposition of 5:12-21 from that given in the commentary. I think he is on the right track on Romans 7. I think he is wrong on Romans 2, which I consider to be hypothetical - those who suffer wrath do so because they deserve it - those who gain eternal life do so because they deserve it, but that makes a nonsense of Paul's whole thesis. I worry about the note at the foot of page 290 - 'But in another sense justification will be completed only on the day of redemption (cf Gal 5:5)'. If he had said 'sanctification' I agree. But as it stands he is veering towards the Council of Trent.
Phil Almond
on 25 April 2016
As a non-seminary student I have found this to be an invaluable technical commentary. Schreiner engages with a range of views on multiple passages and is very easy to follow. I found this easier to follow than Moo and more stimulating than other works like Morris or Osborne. I will certainly be coming back to this when I next return to prepare materials on Romans.
on 16 October 2012
The student should be aware that there are few practical remarks regarding application and Schreiner perhaps spends too much time collating and rejecting other views. It is a useful scholarly commentary but not superior to Shedd, Murray, Cranfield or Morris. Published in 1998, it may yet be superseded.