Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2013
Very insightful. A genuinely Christian ethics, rather than an attempt to modify non-christian philosophies to make them more Christian. Taken with what we know about his response to Naziism and his involvement in the plot to assassinate Hitler at the same time as he was writing, it gives a masterclass in applied theology. May seem theoretical, but really helped me to think about what I do and how I behave.
on 2 November 2013
I loved the way DB went round every argument from every angle - really boxing the compass. I loved the way he started off - 'There is no such thing as a christian ethic...'

And in a biography of him that I read he spoke about asking after the war 'Are we too compromised to be of any use...'

The Story against the Tide (The story of Watchman Nee) by Angus Kinnear speaks of the same ideas (Bonhoeffer the God whom we love is absent therefore to incarnate him in yourself is a way to make him present. Watchman Nee pg 74 Romans 6:6 and 6:11)

pas mal!