5.0 out of 5 stars A radical Jesus, 9 Feb 2004
Martin Smedjeback (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way (Facets) (Paperback)
We have all been fooled! That was the feeling I had when I put down Jesus and Nonviolence. Jesus is not the weak, nonpolitical, do not rock the boat-kind of guy that they talk about in church. The Bible researcher Walter Wink shows with clarity how Jesus both gave examples and himself acted very politically to change the society he was living in. He challenged the rules and the laws of his day's powers. He acted powerfully against the hypocrisy of the religious leaders and he questioned the unlawful occupation of his land. There were others that did this before him. The difference was that they used violence to protest against the occupation. Jesus acted with loving nonviolence. He challenged the injustices but always with respect for the other. Wink goes on to show us that the ideas and methods of nonviolence are very alive also today, actually more than any time before. Only in 1989-90 there were fourteen nations that underwent nonviolent revolutions, all of them successful except China. In this thin book Wink has given me a whole new view of Christianity, has strengthened my belief in nonviolence and has given me hope for a nonviolent future. Quite an accomplishment for a 117-pages book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but too brief, 3 Nov 2009
Mr. D. C. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way (Facets) (Paperback)
Walter Wink is a name unknown to me until recently and this little book is my first introduction to his work. It is a good insight into the idea that Jesus taught non-violence. I found that some of what I read has been used by other writers, sometimes without clear credit being given. It is easy to read and will challenge to further research.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I only had one book on Jesus......, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way (Facets) (Paperback)
If I only had one book on Jesus this would be it. The book looks at the life of Jesus and his message of active nonviolence and how we can make social change happen. All Christians should read and we should all try and implement, if only a little, what Jesus taught.

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging Read, 11 Mar 2014
A quick and easy to read, with a very challenging interpretation on some rather puzzling passages. People may want to take it deeper but I have not found anyone to disagree with this theology.

Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way (Facets)
Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way (Facets) by Walter Wink (Paperback - 1 Mar 2003)
3.99