My son's only just 4, so not reading yet. This was for me to read to him as I want to familiarise him with these classic stories. For fledgling readers, the text is accessible to those reading by themselves, it's not for absolute beginners as it is quite long (four chapters), with (likely to be) unfamiliar names (Morgiana, Gamal).

The story is as I remember -...
Published 2 months ago by K. J. Noyes

2.0 out of 5 stars This is the first one in this series that I ...
This is the first one in this series that I have disapproved of - Ali Baba chopping his enemies up is bit grisly!
Published 2 months ago by RP

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly gory parts surprised me in this retelling of the 'Open Sesame' story!, 10 Feb. 2015
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

The story is as I remember - poor man Ali Baba sees a group of robbers accessing a secret cave with magic words, uses them to find their treasure and take some money, with his greedy brother trying the same but forgetting the words. Here's where we got a surprise though - the robbers chop him into four pieces, and we see Ali Baba carrying his brother's body in a bag - with a hand and foot hanging out! Now I'm not squeamish, and it turns out neither is my son (phew!), but it's only fair to warn other parents that SOMEONE GETS CHOPPED UP, others are BURNED IN OIL, another is stabbed before the required happy ending. My son was happy with all of this, but I know other children might not react the same way.

Apart from that though, the retelling is excellent, the text chosen is mostly simple, though the length made it a challenge for my son, even though we did get through it. The plot isn't convoluted but I could see he wasn't following all of it, with so many strange names for him. I enjoyed reading it though, and I like the note at the end that leads readers on to learn that the tale originally comes from The 1001 Nights.

The illustrations are bold and attractive (ignoring body parts), speech used within them in bubbles and within the text, which is great for explaining the concept to a reader, and it's an exciting story in an unfamiliar setting.

Just beware if you have very young or sensitive children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, retold by KATIE DAYNES, 27 May 2008
This review is from: Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (Young Reading Series, 1) (Paperback)
for the 'Usborne Young Reading' series of books, which combines good stories with easy reading text.

This particular book is from SERIES ONE.

'Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves comes from a collection of Arabian stories known as 'The Thousand and One Nights'.
According to legend, a Sultan wanted to kill his wife.
To save herself, the wife started telling him a wonderful story.
The Sultan found the story so good, he let her live to finish it.
Then she started another one.
Hundreds of stories and 1001 nights later, the Sultan let his wife go.'

From the back cover:-

'Ali Baba has discovered a cave full of treasures.
It's a dream come true! Or is it?
For soon he has a nosy brother and forty thieves to deal with.
Even worse, the leader of the thieves - a master of disguise - is after his blood.
Things are about to get messy......'

48 high quality shiny pages, split over 5 chapters:-

* A secret cave
* The thieves return
* "X" marks the spot
* The oil seller
* Revenge

Numbered pages. Illustrated throughout, further enhanced by meaningful facial expressions. Clear easy-to-follow-text with some speech bubbles.

Example of text:-

'Long ago in Persia, there lived two brothers. Kasim was a rich merchant, but Ali Baba was only a poor woodcutter.
While Kasim ran a large store in town, Ali Baba spent his time collecting firewood. He would gather twigs and branches to sell at the market.
One day, Ali Baba spotted a band of horsemen galloping into the woods. They had daggers and looked dangerous.
Quickly, he hid in a tree.
The men stopped at a cliff near Ali Baba`s tree.
"Open Sesame!" cried their leader and a hole appeared in the rock.
Silently, they went in...........'

Other titles by Katie Daynes include :-

Aladdin and His Magical Lamp
The Adventures of Sinbad the Sailor
The Ant and the Grasshopper
Pinocchio
The Story of Cars

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 13 Aug. 2013
For the grandchildren as a gift. Sure it will go down a treat. Cannot beat the old stories. Came quickly and well packaged

5.0 out of 5 stars My 5 year-old loves this gory story, not one ..., 10 Sept. 2014
My 5 year-old loves this gory story, not one for the faint-hearted, baddies get chopped up and drowned in boiling oil!!

2.0 out of 5 stars This is the first one in this series that I ..., 19 Feb. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Aug. 2014
Good read for young children

3.0 out of 5 stars Forgot the story was a bit gruesome!, 19 Oct. 2010
Bought this book for my baby son for the day he starts reading himself (moving back to Oz so stocking up on UK books). I couldn't remember the story but could recollect the title from my youth. Thought it might be fun reading for a young lad at some point. I read the story when I received it and didn't realise/had forgotten (not sure which!) that a character got killed and chopped up by the forty thieves. At this point of my parenting life I'm not sure I want to introduce such concepts to my son, albeit in a makebelieve tale, so I am probably going to either hold this back until he is older than the reading level at which it is aimed or I may give it away to a charity shop.

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (Young Reading Series, 1)
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (Young Reading Series, 1) by Katie Daynes (Paperback - April 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01