Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2008
I found this book to be an extrememly valuable addition to my already extensive,tortoise library. It gives another view to the "commonly accepted" ways to care for captive tortoises. It doesnt follow the sheep mentality and is a refreshing, informative text that encourages the new and established keeper to think outside the box. Its much more in keeping with the more modern european and american approach to herp keeping, as opposed to the outdated british method of keeping tortoises. Even though i have been keeping tortoises for years, i still learnt a few things from this book. Dont just believe the bad reviews, read it and judge for yourself!!
on 9 January 2009
I loooove AC Highfield books. I've got them all and I've read them several times, along with the TT articles found in their website, videos...they are superb.

I also love this book. I think it is the most interesting one I have read over the last few years on the care of tortoises in captivity. Very updated information, and very practical. It is different from the usual books on tortoises and really interesting. I think I have read it 4 times so far. In my opinion a reference for the future.

I try to learn from different sources, different views, different ways of keeping these animals in captivity.
on 29 November 2008
I thought this book was very good and made you think about what you wanted out of keeping a tortoise, rather than the 'run of the mill' books that tell you what to think and how to do it.

Other books and advice I have received in the regards of keeping and caring for tortoise's give you a one sided view of the authors opinions, yes it might work for them but does it work for everyone?

I could go on, but I won't, if you want to be told what to do and how to do it then buy other books, if you want to exercise your brain and make your own opinions as to what works for you, then buy this book.
on 23 February 2008
I would recommend this book to any new or experienced tortoise keeper, whether you keep Russian or any of the Testudo species. It has very detailed, clear and concise information. The chapters on health and feeding were especially detailed and informative. One of the best complete guides I have read.
on 24 November 2009
if your interested in tortoises or have one then this book is well worth it.it has tons detail & images & its basic no waffle this book focuses on russian tortoise species only.horsfield,hermani`s & more.i have one & i often turn to this book when i need to.
on 14 April 2014
Considering the author usually argues against the UK way of keeping tortoises, it was pleasantly surprising to see that the info in this book was not exactly the same as he gives out on forums. It did give out info for other species too, which could be slightly misleading, which is why I gave it four stars instead of 5. Nice little hand book though for beginners.
on 28 August 2013
Although have not read it in great depth
But found it great with photos so you can really look, and compare them.
Very interesting.
My own Russian tortoise his only 15 months old, somethings that are in the book i can confirm are right.
Seems to be a very good book
on 6 June 2011
I've started getting interested in owning one, this is a good addition to learn the basics. But I advise to join some special forums and check websites for much more in depth information.

But this is a nice book to start off with to see if it's for you :)
on 8 February 2014
I liked the amount of detail in this book. It was a very good start up guide and also a reference guide for continuing care of a tortoise. I feel more confident buying and looking after my own pet after reading this.
on 15 June 2014
I bought this book for research before getting my russian tortoises and am keeping it as a reference for when they grow up! I'm sure I'll refer to it over the years.