5.0 out of 5 stars Oh - I wish, I wish, I wish .....
Published on 19 April 2006 by Alan Sturgess

3.0 out of 5 stars First half good, second half not so
The first half of the book are really good. You learn the notes and rhythm and some simple exercises. I don't like the songs because you only learn to play 1 string at a time. It's as though the guitar has the main tune and you're missing the accompaniment.
Published 6 months ago by D. C. Corbey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh - I wish, I wish, I wish ....., 19 April 2006
This review is from: Music Reading for Guitar: The Complete Method (Essential Concepts) (Paperback)
I wish I'd had a book like this all those years ago when the task of learning to read music became such a chore. This really is a remarkable book - I know of no other that teaches the rudiments and more advanced levels of note-reading whilst being at the same aimed squarely at guitarists. There are masses of useful and increasingly interesting exercises, beginning with simple clapping to reinforce the idea of 'attack'.

My only niggle is that although the book is aimed at guitarists with frequent reference to string and fretboard exercises, chord diagrams are not included. Users of this book therefore need either a good working knowledge of chords, or a chord dictionary should be close to hand. Also, guitar tab is not used anywhere in the book- but don't let that worry you. The pace is well thought out and the lack of tab forces you to pay attention to reading the notation.

Apart from that, I can only say that if you play guitar and want to learn to read formal music notation - then look no further. this definitely IS the book you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 20 July 2001
Takes you from a completely illiterate musician(as most of us guitarists are) to a very advanced standard. Well written with loads of exercises. This book is a MUST for all aspiring guitarists

5.0 out of 5 stars I can finally read., 17 July 1999
By A Customer
This book is an incredible tool for the guitarist that can play but not read. There are tons of exercises and explanations that are all really helpful, and then before you know it, you can competently sightread. I love this book. It rocks. I'd tried tons of "learn to read" books but they're all written for other instruments, or they're written for people that haven't played the instrument before, which bites for people who can play but can't read. Buy it if you can't read music but have played guitar for a while (14 years in my case). Keep on rockin'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to read music on guitar? Buy the book. Now., 21 Oct. 2012
This book is very, very well structured in my opinion.
Starting from the very basics of "This is a crotchet, and this is how you count one." You can go from no knowledge of how to read music to being quite proficient at it. Once you have a fair grasp on basic Rhythm and how it works it introduces you to the fifth position on the guitar (Around the 5th fret basically) building your familiarity with the position before moving onto other positions such as the open position and 12th position.

Seriously, this book is pretty darn good and will certainly give you one hell of an edge against other guitarists. Everyone and their mothers can "play" guitar, but this thing will set you apart from the hoards of guitarists out there.
If a classical musician sneers at you and places sheet music in front of you while snidely remarking "How do you get a guitarist to shut up? Put sheet music in front of him!", blow his head off by sight reading it.

Just take into consideration that reading notation fluently on the guitar takes practice. There's a reason TAB is so popular for the guitar. It's insanely easy.

Whether you want to show off, or simply expand your skillset/become more valuable as a serious musician. This book is amazing and I have no regrets on buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 24 Feb. 2010
This book has been an amazing help with sight reading.

Well worth the purchase if your wanting to improve or start from scratch.

Cannot recommend enough!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good book for an important target, 22 Aug. 2011
For us guitarists - generally less "blessed" than other musicians in reading music - it's important to find some simple, clear but yet complete method to force us out of the door of our natural "laziness" and guide us into such a necessary path.

this method serves this purpose in a perfect way, from the very basics into an organic reading praxis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music Reading, 12 Jun. 2009
My guitar teacher recommended this book to me when he was teaching me to read music. I found it extremely helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Nov. 2012
Believe it or not, I'm a music degree student who never concentrated enough on sight reading. Now in my final year, I relise this is a skill I desperately need to have any kind of career. This book is fantastic for that. I obv have had some knowledge of reading music before this book, but the approach in it is 'we give you excercises, and 5 different ways to play them so that it's challenging for anyone'. I have been studying this book intensively for 2 weeks now wnd it has genuinely taught me more about sight reading than the 3000 a year i spent on a degree. Definitely recommended. A novel and practical guide to reading music

5.0 out of 5 stars The Practical Approach, 8 Jun. 2003
Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'd guess this is the way most professionals approach playing music - that is, "Don't learn all the notes in all the positions, play certain keys in certain positions where they are easiest, get the whole picture into a workable form ASAP, and focus your practice". As good as you'll get in one book....but plenty more to work on once you have these basics in the old noggin! But this is a great place to start. But you'll still need plenty of standard notation work to practice on - but that stuff you can get from the library anyway - this is the book that will centre you on the 'what and how' in a structured methodology.

I use this as support material when teaching Guitar as it's the best I've found on the subject. I also like William Leavitt's books on reading and if you can still get it the Arnie Berle one on sight reading is one that takes a much more linear approach and gets you thinking outside of the traditional first 5 frets - but,if you still want a really traditional approach (learn the hell out of the first 5 frets and then move on up) I'd suggest you also use either Mel Bay's Modern Guitar method books (7 in the series - not so modern as they were originally written in 1948! But still good for learning music), or William Bay's Mastering the Guitar (5 in the series). Don't bother with the CD versions if your using them to learn music - that's exactly what your trying to get away from; TAB and listening to CDs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived this morning, and i love it already!, 14 Jun. 2014
After reading these reviews I couldn't wait for mine to arrive. I used to read music fluently when I was a child (playing the customary recorder at school). In my adult years I've been playing acoustic guitar on and off for 10+ years (self taught and with some lessons) but got bored of being taught to play songs and chords. Being one of those people that needs to know how something works in detail, and understand it fully - this book has provided that and then some. It takes it right back to basics, clapping and stomping rhythms in order to train your coordination for music timings. It even includes the basics of pick direction. Most impressive for me though is the methods of getting you to read music in different directions. It's early days and the book only arrived this morning. But I know it's going to be worth every penny as already, what I used to know has come flooding back. Definitely recommend buying this if you're serious about knowing your stuff musically.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Music Reading for Guitar: The Complete Method (Essential Concepts)