1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart for the fingers, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: W.A. Mozart Nineteen Sonatas For The Piano Pf (Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics) (Paperback)
This is (I think) the first volume of Mozart's Sonatas in the Schirmer's Library, and for me this was a great way to re-acquaint myself with the practice of playing Mozart, following a gap of (mumble) years since I passed my Grade 8. In those days, one routinely learned a Mozart Sonata for one's Royal College of Music exams. I had assumed that, this would be an 'easy graded' version of the original, but as far as I can (now) see, my exam piece (from 1978) is pretty much identical to what I am now playing from Schirmer, albeit in a different key.

The book is, of course, great value. In fact, it is almost impossible to use the word 'value' in a meaningful way, given the fact that it should last for years, and will no doubt challenge and reward the persistent player for a very long time.

I have always found Mozart's Sonatas to be almost hypnotic and relaxing, when listening to someone else playing them. Now I am finding exactly the same theraputic benefits, when it is my own fingers producing the sounds that I love, albeit somewhat more hesitantly than my recordings. The other great thing about these pieces is that, generally, they may be sight-read initially, but one very quickly attains a degree of competence through practice - so very rewarding, without an extended and humiliating learning curve!