Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2013
On its own, this isn't going to help you pass A level music, but generations of music students wouldn't have got to where they are today without it. If you have got the potential, this is one of those books which will help you to start to realise what an extraordinary, towering genius Johann Sebastian Bach was. OK, so it is only a collection of harmonisations of hymn tunes, but it makes the rest of us realise what pygmies we all are by his side!
on 17 April 2007
This comprehensive 371 chorales shows how J.S.Bach was a master at harmony. I used this for the A level and degree level music course and compared my "musical offerings" with his. Very complex harmony from such a simple tune! Recommended reading for advanced students.
on 17 July 2013
I purchased this to help with my A2 music A Level and it's really helped me to understand Bach's chorales and how I can write them.
on 1 January 2013
When it comes to learning and teaching harmony, this book is useful. I found it useful as an examiner for a major exam board when examining A level Music composition.
on 30 July 2001
Very easy to read; print quality excellent.
on 19 November 2012
This book is great for students of harmony or those interested in Bachs music in general. It's very neatly laid out with good preface notes.
Recommended.
on 6 December 2013
An excellent resource for anyone studying harmony in depth. Essential for A Level music students but still valuable beyond that.
on 9 February 2014
This was just as I expected, good quality, perfectly clear to play from, what more can be said? It's Bach!
on 15 March 2015
An absolute must for anyone who wants to find out about musical harmony.
VItal for music students.
on 26 April 2012
I am currently studying A2 level Music (Edexcel exam board) and as part of the course we have to harmonise a Bach chorale such as these where we are given 2 bars completed and then only the melody which is to be harmonised. We have to work out all the keys and cadences to modulate to and this book has hundreds of examples which I've found really helpful. The A2 Harmony textbook has references to the chorales and so I have been able to look up the examples within their context in more detail.
I would recommend this to anyone studying Music A-level! I would also recommend this to anyone with a keen interest in Music as it contains many lovely chorales!!! <3