5.0 out of 5 stars what a bargain
This book is cheaper than one issue of any popular guitar magazine and less than half the cost of a guitar lesson,
so you would have no right to expect the quality of guidance contained in its pages.
Published on 15 Jun 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I just don't like this book at all.
Sorry I just don't like this book at all. The author just doesn't seem to have the knack for putting across his points and there is a complete lack of practical context so even if you could absorb the information you still wouldn't know what to do with it and so why it was considered useful. Some early chapters are very basic and tedious and just present simple concepts...
Published on 25 Mar 2011 by Botanics

5.0 out of 5 stars what a bargain, 15 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fretboard Roadmaps: The Essential Guitar Patterns That All the Pros Know and Use (Guitar Techniques) (Paperback)
And yet this is the only book I have seen (yet) which gave me any practical hook into learning my way around the fretboard, rather than a cold slab of notation on a diagram (the typical presentation from what I have seen).
Guaranteed it won't be the only book you'll want or need, but to get you off the ground I couldn't recommend this book highly enough for its practicality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vital reading. Surprisingly good..., 11 Jun 2005
I was sceptical but this would be a great 2nd or 3rd book for a beginner (David Mead's is another). This will stand you in good stead for the rest of your playing career. As an intermediate player I recognised the first pattern & recommend learning them -- and I found plenty of useful new info. too. This really is guitar playing in a nutshell. It could have fancier graphics and layout, but it is resfeshingly clear and concise and inexpensive. Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A typical 'roadmap' book - first class., 15 May 2007
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There are several books in the 'Roadmap' series and they all share the same attributes. This one is no exception and is slightly better than most.

They all cover pretty standard ground in terms of popular licks, phrases and 'boxes' within which to play and improvise.

Despite brief introductions, they all assume at least some familiarity with the guitar fretboard and the reading of either notation or tablature. It is fair to say that to get the best out of these books, you do need SOME experience. Raw beginners might find this particular book a bit heavy going at first because it moves fairly rapidly from one technique or style to another and doesn't set out to teach you in an especially linear way. If you're that new to the guitar, think of this book as one to grow into once you have some basic knowledge and experience.

All roadmap books cover a lot of ground in very little space in both great detail and in a well-developed style that is very easy to follow.

In short - the 'Roadmap' series set out to provide you with a good repertoire of skills and licks and then show you how to develop them in your own playing.

Briefly, the content of this book covers the following topics:

the fretboad

the major scale and intervals

barre E and A chords, root notes and simple progressions

I -- IV -- V chord family, moveable chords and basic blues

D -- A -- F roadmap and inversions

chord fragments, families, licks, strums and arpeggios

circle-of-fifths progressions and how to use the whole fretboard

learning many differerent chord types

moveable major scales and playing melodies

moveable blues scales

major pentatonic scales

a moveable double-note lick for country, blues, rock and R&B (and that's the true 'Rhythm 'n' Blues' not the modern mish-mash of soul/hiphop and urbanised grumblings as chanted by groin-grabbing wailers).

Of all the books in the 'Roadmap' series, this one sets out to do slightly more in that it lays down a foundation for all the other styles to be built upon. Thus many of the topics are looked at again in some of the specialised books (eg: bluegrass and folk). But this is not a weakness or an easy get-out.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants a good introduction to ideas that they can learn, develop and tghen make their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth more that every penny spent., 19 Nov 2006
Barry Leslie (Peterborough) - See all my reviews
Consider this. I bought this book (including the postage) for a total of £5.56. now if you consider that a single 1/2 hour guitar lesson will set you back upwards of £15 this is an absoloute bargain. I have been playing for over 20 years and have been a frequent dabbler. I've done this and that, but never found a way of bringing together what I understand about music.

What this book does, is bring those loose strands together and put them into 12 achieveable lessons. I am currently at about lesson 5 and have been amazed at how much I actually understand about scales, chord formations and key tones.

I would recommend that the reader have some basic understanding of the guitar before using this book, but it is not essential. If I were beginning I would look at something like Begin Guitar - by Douglas J Noble as this will give you the understanding of the easier open chords. This book focuses more on barre chords and sliding scales, which could be daunting for the beginner.

This book has already made me consolidate what I understand and has taught me a lot. I will definitely be purchasing the Fretboard Roadmap Rock book when I am done with this one. Highly recommended to all, especially intermediate player. This book will improve your playing!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll love it, or hate it...!, 21 Jun 2006
A. Delahunty - See all my reviews
I have read a couple of Sokolow's books, and they all seem to follow the same format: bare essentials. This is, as I say, something you will either love or hate. Let me explain.

The amount of information you are given really is quite minimal in terms of words, but with respect to actual content, it is exceptionally high. There is little padding, little fluff involved, and everything is written in short, direct sentences. You are given a couple of diagrams, a quick explanation as to why you should be doing it, and the rest is up to you. Sit down, play it, and learn it. Don't ask questions. Just do it (to quote a well-known sportswear manufacturer).

This may suit some people, of which I definitely include myself. I picked up his mandolin book of the same series, and got more from that one, slim book than I had gleaned from about ten other books I had read. Perhaps it was a bit of background which I already had which meant I got these nuggets out of that book. If I had come to it cold, I don't think I would have gained so much so quickly.

When I decided I should actually learn guitar (meaning to for ages, thought best to do rather than just think about it), this is one of two books I decided to get (the other being David Mead's book on 10-minute drills - fantastic stuff!). I think my life was made somewhat easier than other reviewers' experiences, particularly if you scan the reviews at Amazon.com rather than Amazon.co.uk, simply because I had this background, and I knew what to expect.

So be warned! You are not getting anything chatty, no in-depth analyses, no complicated theory lessons. What you *are* getting is what you need to know in order to (as the title suggests) know your way around the guitar fretboard. If you are a beginner, I can see that this may raise more questions than provide answers. Theoretical discussion is minimal, as I have said, and you may want to look elsewhere for the answers (again, David Mead's book is a fine investment). You are getting the distilled essence of playing guitar, and it is up to you to learn why you should be doing it in this way. Get another book, or just figure it out for yourself - Sokolow doesn't seem to care either way.

But I would recommend this book without hesitation to anyone but the complete beginner. I promise you, you *will* learn something about playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Fretboard Roadmaps, 5 Jan 2004
Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I purchased this book mainly as the result of curiousity because it appeared to offer a new way of learning to play the guitar. Thirty years ago when I first learned to play the acoustic guitar the standard approach was to learn all the notes on the the fretboard and to mimic the chord shapes found in tutorial instruction guides until a sufficient repertoire had been built up to enable a variety of popular music to be played with reasonable proficiency. Part of the learning process included labelling the fretboard to make it easier for the notes to be found and remembered. This approach was a common practice three decades ago.

What was lacking at the time was a standard reference that explained the particular tuning of the guitar; why there are six strings and why the frets are placed in the particular locations along the neck. I felt that this knowledge would aid in the understanding of the instrument itself and make learning easier and quicker.

Earlier this year whilst browsing the Internet for information concerning electric guitars - I had just purchased an American Stratocaster - I discovered that several books had indeed been written in the late 90s that provided the information I was looking for. 'Fretboard Roadmaps' was one of these books, the other was 'Fretboard Logic'. These books and their derivatives are supplemented by CDs, DVDs and VHS tape training material.

I purchased these books (and the DVD of Fretboard Roadmaps) because they were endorsed by some well known and highly respected musicians whose guitar skills far exceed my own. They commented that the information contained within these slim books can seriously shorten the time it takes to learn the guitar. The same principles equally apply to learning the bass.

These books contain relatively few pages but that is because they are jam-packed (no pun intended) with information that provides and alternative view to learning the guitar/bass. They key is in understanding the fretboard and how intonation works. There are many shortcuts to learning and these books list them in simple, easy-to-understand terms.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fretboard road map, 13 Feb 2006
This is a great book and is probably the only one anyone wanting to improve their playing will need. It's a thin volume but don't let that fool you, it explains lots of theory concisely and is well laid out. There is an accompanying 'blues' version of this book but this is the place to really lay the foundations for intermediate to advanced playing. Well worth the [bargain] price.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Grade 3 - Onward and Upward, 20 May 2006
Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
You'd need to play a bit before staring these books, but this is one of the ways you can speed up your bedroom playing and get to play solid rock, blues, and metal for money. These books are set out as though you have a knarly old player sitting alongside you and telling you how it really is. No academic theory, no technique hand-cuffs, no nerdy tests. And it is how the pros play and it is the basics that you must know. You'll need this one and the Rock or Blues follow-on book to go with it soon after starting this one, as there are specifics in those that aren't in this one.

And there's a new Bass one that's just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars circle of fiths, 26 Mar 2008
I have several "learn to play" guitar books, most of which are rather dry reading. This one stands out a mile because it is simple and yet exciting. When you work your way through the roadmaps you begin to understand a lot more about the guitar as an instrument. I have the DVD and some other books in the series, all worth buying despite some areas of overlap. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars *** Know your Fretboard Magic ***, 22 July 2009
I spent a small fortune on the most popular guitar books on shelves and on the web trying teach myself guitar during the last 5 years. All teach the same thing and you only learn a very little from each book. One day I happened to buy by Fred Sokolow's Fretboard Road map Book for Guitar. I read the entire book in a day and highlighed the impotant points. I practiced everything during next three weeks. Within the next Week I could play scales and chords anywhere on the fretboard like a pro creating diffrent tones using chord fragments and scales at diffrent places on the fretboard. This unlocked the mystery of fretboard forever. If you want to master the entire fretboard then this book is for you. Buy this, use it, play it, practice it soon you will be in your next level of your guitar playing with confidence. Now sometimes when I see this book on my shelf I think to myself where was this man Called Fred Sokolow all these time... Caly from Harrow London