5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling insider look at small-boat warfare
I don't mean to suggest that Douglas Reeman's writing hasn't improved over time, because it has. At the same time, the Reeman 'formula' has become more apparent as his titles pile up. This book, his first title, is still among my very favorite of his novels.
Published on 11 May 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ
WRITTEN BY A MASTER WHO REALY KNOWS HIS SUBJECT. I UNDERSTAND THAT HE DROVE A MGB DURING THE WAR. I ALSO HAVE THE HARD & PAPERBACK EDITIONS OF HIS BOOKS.
Published 6 months ago by joe youle

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling insider look at small-boat warfare, 11 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Prayer For The Ship (Paperback)
Probably at least in part autobiographical, what Reeman's first swing may lack in technical polish (and it doesn't lack much), he makes up for in his ability to tell an exciting story. I got caught up in the lives and war of the men of the MTB squadron, and the efforts of Sub-Lieutenant Royce to prove himself and create a place for himself among the war-hardened officers and men.
For some reason, I've always been attracted to the idea of small-boat warfare. Give me an MTB over a battlecruiser any day. If you're like me, or are just interested in an exciting story of the men (and women) caught up in the war at sea, Reeman is always a great author to turn to. And this title is one of his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story but spoiled by translation error, 15 Jun 2012
Mr. D. Wildblood (Holywell, North Wales) - See all my reviews
I have always loved Douglas Reeman stories and own most of his early tales in paperback form. This is my first Douglas Reeman EBook and I found myself being drawn into the story, you can almost imagine being on the deck of the MTB as it powers into action. Great story - well worth 5 stars but, I must comment on the quality of the translation, it's full of strange characters - lots of ? marks in little boxes and also missing words, typos etc. I'm surprised the other reviewers have not noticed this! It does tend to spoil the story a little.

Come on AMAZON get it right - this is not the first EBook I have purchased that is full of error!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, 8 Sep 2011
E2C (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Prayer For The Ship (Paperback)
This book has just the right amount of action and drama in it. Thoroughly recommended to anyone who likes WW2 naval fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Kindle, 9 Mar 2014
Bought as part of a series to re read on my Kindle. I had bought the book a few years ago in paperback and wanted to read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars best one of his books, 12 Jan 2014
I nave read a number of his books and this is the best of a fairly good bunch

Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my father, 17 Nov 2013
Good book ideal gift for my father an enjoyable read deliver quickly to my kindle via Wi Fi easy transaction

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 4 Nov 2013
A truly great novel about coastal forces.It gives areal feeling of the war and going into action in such a small craft

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 17 July 2013
enjoyed this book as I do all this author writes once3 more he put's you in the thick of the action

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jun 2013
Highly reccomended,I would be pleased to advise any ex seamen to buy it, it is very enjoyable, and I loved itHighly reccomended,I would be pleased to advise any ex seamen to buy it, it is very enjoyable, and I loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars A re-read for me, 30 April 2013
This is one of many books I have read or re-read by Douglas he knows his stuff, it brings back lots of memories to me

A Prayer for the Ship (Thrush Green Chronicles)
A Prayer for the Ship (Thrush Green Chronicles) by Douglas Reeman (Audio CD - 30 Sep 2004)
26.74