When people said On Deadly Ground ended with Steven Seagal giving a lecture about the environment, I thought they were talking metaphorically: I didn't realise that he actually got up on a podium and gave a slide presentation. The kind of film that gives ecology a bad name, Seagal's directorial debut may have had a similar premise to the aborted Rambo 4 that was planned around the same time (lone hero takes on oil company despoiling the wilderness, in this case in Alaska) but is inept on a scale previously undreamt of, with heavy-handed mysticism and speachifying rubbing shoulders with staggeringly badly staged action scenes that bored even the whispering ones fans. Weirdest sight: Michael Caine's villain, not just content with polluting the environment even pollutes his comically dyed hair with oil and his over-made-up face with the most hideous display of the embalmer's art this side of the Bride of Wildenstein. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. And then some. But at least Basil Poledouris' score is pretty good.

If you are tempted to check it out, do bear in mind that - unlike the NTSC Region 1 US DVD - the UK release has been very oviously cut by the BBFC by 70 seconds.
on 24 December 2012
Steven at his destructive best. Michael Caine is the bad guy building an oil refinery in the unspoiled wilderness, but using shoddy equipment. After he decides to bump off Steven's character, to prevent him finding out, Steven gets annoyed, with the usual consequence.
on 30 July 2015
I always think that the early Seagal films are the best and this film is one of them with a fantastic performance from Micheal Caine as the Baddie oil Baron trying to stop his land reverting back to the eskimos.. I also think that Steven Seagal did an amazing job directing this picture as well with shots of eagles and polar bears plus beautiful views of the snow capped mountains throughout the film..
If your a seagal fan like i am i would highly recommend watching this film not just for the action but also the nature side of things..
on 18 October 2009
Yes, I am a fan of Steven Seagal, I have brought most of his films, I have enjoyed watching his films ever now and again, I never get tired of them.
on 29 November 2014
Steven Seagal at his best! Also stars Michael Caine in a fast moving action film with a great storyline. Thoroughly recommended.
on 12 October 2014
What a film Steven is brilliant as always so very well worth watching for you to learn all about his skills
on 12 January 2013
This is a great film strongly reminding us of all we should be clearly taking into account for our future
on 24 May 2014
this film is a great film and that is why I gave it this rating I would recommend it to all seagal fans
on 25 January 2013
love this film i have most of his films i had no problems with it it arrived in the time space provided.
on 4 February 2013
I really enjoy this film. I have to say it is one of his best films yet. This was bought as a present