Format: HardcoverChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 October 2013
So I bought this on Sunday evening at 19:10 for last minute reading before my VCP IAAS exam yesterday, and I'd actually read it from the start through to the glossary in just 3 hours and 10 minutes! I read this on the iPad and I have the font size up quite large but I've never read a 400 page technical book in that time before - I'm intrigued to see what the hard copy looks like - maybe it's a screenshot per page or something? It really did feel like Amazon UK are selling a draft copy of this book that hasn't been fleshed out yet.

The book seems very vague in it's description of certain components although in all fairness it does state this quite clearly at the start so don't be surprised! In terms of the description saying that this is well known for it's level of detail - well, all I'll say is that they should go back and read something by Scott Lowe, Frank Denneman or Duncan Epping and then revisit their official statement on this website as it doesn't match what it actually in the book itself written by the authors! Maybe I just expected deep dive stuff but some of this is just fluffy at times (just like most technical designs you see out there!)

I'd done quite a lot of reading of the various blogs out there, and as ever, you really need to be reading the information from the VMware website as pretty much everything you would ever need to know is there in black and white, especially in the Documentation Center.

One thing they should be absolutely clearer about, is that this book should only covers the IAAS parts of the Cloud exam - in my case that was absolutely perfect for my needs as that is what I wanted, but if you're wanting to go for the VCP-Cloud and you don't have any / much prior knowledge you will also need to buy the VCP-DCV books out there, and you really can't go far wrong with buying the Mastering vSphere series by Scott Lowe in the 5.0 and prior releases or with his friends onboard for the new one! Those and the vSphere design books should be essential reading for anyone working with this stuff.

Technically speaking you should have done the courses beforehand so you shouldn't be coming into this blind, although I'd hope the vCloud ICM material covers things better than this book.

I passed the exam yesterday anyway with 97%, but please don't expect to just buy this book and pass the Cloud exam as you'll be in for a shock if you don't know your way around the products. Although saying that maybe this is the intention to reduce the people with paper VCPs? Who knows.

If I'd have read this on it's own I'd have more than likely failed the exam - yes it covers the Blueprint to the letter, in some instances just mentioning things in passing that are covered three chapters later, but when you get there again there is just no in-depth detail.

Maybe in later versions it would make sense to actually write the stuff in a more logical order, and then just have a Blueprint glossary at the back directing you to where it's actually covered off?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2015
Useless for exam preperation. And If the premium version of the book is better, then why don't they discontinue this book and just sell that one rather than putting a discount voucher for the premium in this one?. I am only going to judge the book based on what it says and claimes. The title alone is missleading because it implies that it has something to do with VCP. NO ITS NOT! The exams questions are much much tougher and the exam covers far more depth. Also there are print errors in this book with incorrect referrals to the wrong diagrams. Absolutely pathetic!
on 20 July 2014
Not a great example of a VCP book. I know it says it doesn't include the DVD, which is understandable as its the kindle edition but.... previous books i have bought have allowed you to download the DVD content if you desired (after registration) and i did expect to be able to do this with this publication too... as it is almost exactly the same price as the hardcopy. Alas - you cant download the content as far as i could find...
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse