5.0 out of 5 stars It's gets me excited
I love this stuff formulas, functions, pivot tables - must be a geek, although I don't look like a geek
Published 7 months ago by Diane Cottrell

1.0 out of 5 stars Good information, but difficult to follow
Published 6 months ago by SteadVex

1.0 out of 5 stars Good information, but difficult to follow, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Pivot Table Data Crunching: Microsoft Excel 2010 (MrExcel Library) (Paperback)
I've been using excel since Excel 97, not for work use, mainly at home and various jobs created (in my opinion) fairly basic projects with a little vba, never used pivot tables before and looking to learn for a potential new job, after getting my way part into another book (which is truly excellent and well written, Microsoft® Excel® 2010: Data Analysis and Business Modeling) I was assuming it would be a similar experience with this book. I am however finding the samples don't seem to relate easily to the book, I don't have any of my own data to work from, as stated this is bought to get some knowledge for a possible job, so for me, as someone who hasn't used Pivot Tables before I'm finding it hard. Although I've now got a good understanding, it takes a lot of re-reading to understand what is being said.

There is a lot of good info in this, and the author clearly knows what's going on, but I'm only at Chapter 3, and have found several mistakes which keep making me doubt myself, as I follow what the book says and isn't the same, which is a bit frustrating.

If you have a lot of patience you can gain a lot from this, but don't expect things like 'now load example x' it just assumes you know which example file your working with, doesn't tell you when sheets change, and doesn't explain which sheet you should be using, for example, Chapter 3 assumes you are working with a certain sheet, this sheet seems to not exist in the chapter 3 sample file, the chapter 3 sample file also contains about 20 worksheets that are in a seemingly random order with nothing explaining what they are for? you may thing the sheets titled fig 3.4 matches the diagram 3.4 in the book, but it does not...

anyways aside from the annoyances it does seem a useful learning tool, I'm mixed about the book, I'm not a great writer but I feel someone should of read through this and followed the examples before it was published.

Oh, and one thing to mention, if you have a low amount of ram, make sure you close and re-open excel after every chapter or you will find you keep running out and getting a lot of paging to disk, if your used to Pivot tables you may already know, but large datasets consume a lot of ram! (its news to me anyway!)

Changed my review rating to 1 star after 'struggling' to understand another chapter, reading the amazon.com reviews, well they seem to match my experience, foolishly I just went by the amazon.co.uk reviews which all seem quite positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's gets me excited, 4 Feb 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical expert knowledge.. I did not follow the examples..., 12 Jun 2012
J. L. Vergaert "Jean Louis" (Hammersmith, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I surely appreciate the frustrations of the people who complain that thee examples do not follow the book...
... but for me, I wanted a good reference with practical examples to read from the book, quickly, and it does the trick.
Pivot Tables can appear very easy at the beginning, but there is a lot to dig in and it can become overwhelmingly complex. The authors make sure to explain it in plain English, but of course you need to read back and forth a few times. On the other hand, everything is practical and you will quickly find ways to experience their solutions on your own data. So for me, you do not need to download examples and work from those... just start from your own data.
After much effort, I am the uncontested master of pivot table within my company... worth the effort and small price..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Problem Solver, 8 Dec 2010
As an experienced user of Pivot Tables in previous verions of Excel - thanks to the help of previous editions of this superb book - I needed to get up to speed with changes in the 2010 version of the software.

I read through the book in less than an hour - and by that time my key questions had all been answered... and more.

Good value too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Clear instructions, shame about the Excel worksheets, 29 Jun 2014
Having a basic understanding of Excel and never having used/seen a pivot table before, I was hoping this book would provide me with a good introduction.
To an extent, this book has met my needs. This book goes into much more depth then I thought it would and for what you get, I believe is excellent value for money. I have found the instructions very clear to follow, the book goes at a nice pace. Excel documents are downloaded from a website for the reader to work through or refer to.
Unfortunately, it is very hard to know which worksheet on the Excel documents the author is referring to, at times I simply cannot find the worksheet. Finding the worksheet is actually more difficult/frustrating then the excel work. So I can only justify 2 stars and see this as a regrettable purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pivot Tables, 5 Jun 2014
J. Hammond (Surrey) - See all my reviews
Just been made redundant from my finance job so thought I'd spend some time getting to know more about Pivot Tables. So I am just starting chapter 5 and I am very pleased with this book so far I have learnt a lot of things that I wanted to know and a lot more that I didn't realise you could do. It is a tough subject to take in all the information and remember it so it will be good to have the book to refer back to. So far it has covered the subject in a logical way and being able to download the sample files and data to practise on is a great bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow well worked examples, 12 Jun 2013
I hated pivot tables in previous versions of Excel. Excel 2010 is hugely powerful and I could not avoid pivots anymore. I am now running well structured, well presented reports based on large data tables. Flexibility of the pivots is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 16 Jan 2013
Pivot table Data Crunching is a good book and examples on web helps a lot Micro doft Excel by MR Excel.

Pivot Table Data Crunching: Microsoft Excel 2010 (MrExcel Library)
Pivot Table Data Crunching: Microsoft Excel 2010 (MrExcel Library) by Michael Alexander (Paperback - 20 Oct 2010)