5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket to learn ASP.NET (and pass the exam)
Having found the official Microsoft Study Guide for 70-315 wanting, I followed the recommendation of a number of people on the microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad newsgroup, and purchased this book in order to prepare for exam 70-315.
Published on 17 Feb. 2005 by Emma Burrows

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish
FULL of typos! Half his examples don't work, which is infuriating at best. Especially when you've spent an hour laboriously typing out one single example, only to find nothing happens and it doesn't illustrate the point it's supposed to. It's even worse when he goes on to build further examples on the non-working example -- there's an entire chapter in this book in...
Published on 6 Nov. 2007 by A. P. Shakespeare

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket to learn ASP.NET (and pass the exam), 17 Feb. 2005
This review is from: MCAD/MCSD Training Guide 70-315: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C#.NET and Visual Studio.NET (Paperback)
The author's command of the English language might be dubious at times, but his mastery of the subject and his ability to convey information in a structured, organised manner is irreproachable. The explanations are clear and the large number of exercises help to reinforce what you've learned from reading the text. I had really never encountered a self-study book which was so well done before.
By the time I had worked my way through the whole book (which took roughly 6 weeks), I felt confident that I understood the subject matter and could pass the exam. Sure enough, after giving myself two weeks to re-read the book and look up details in MSDN, I did pass the exam with a score of 962.
Other reviewers have mentioned that the book is weak on ADO.NET. While I don't think the coverage is inadequate as far as the concepts of ADO.NET in general are concerned, I do agree that extra reading may be necessary to be sure you're ready for the exam. But once you've mastered the basics using this book, you can easily fill in the gaps by reading the details on MSDN.
So this is strongly recommended if you're interested in learning Web development with the .NET framework, and particularly if you're aiming for the 70-315 exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Broad Coverage, 29 May 2004
Mr. Ian F. Taite "IanT8" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I passed the 70-320 yesterday with a score of 951, after studying with this book. Coverage is very good. Be sure to download the errata from [...] Be aware that some examples need revision since the book was written/printed when the 1.0 Framework was current. In the COM+ section my initial efforts were thwarted by "Access Denied" when trying to use deployed COM+ components however those problems were solved by switching off security for the affected labs. If you've developed before, minor errors like that can be solved with ease. Be sure to study the XML produced by the visual designer and in general, do the end of chapter Apply Your Knowledge exercises, since it's through those exercises that much of the chapters main text is consolidated and understood.
I can also recommend the following books:
Microsoft's ".NET XML Web Services Step By Step" by Freeman/Jones as a beginners tutorial. Very easy, engaging and enjoyable.
"Remoting with C# and .NET" by David Conger. The writing style is excellent; I wish my technical writing was as good.
Altogther, Kalani did a good job on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best author for MCAD - definitely recommended, 12 Feb. 2004
I passed the 70-315 exam first time using just this book and the Trasncender tests (although it has to be said I do have a lot of ASP.NET experience so I should have passed). It is very good, both in content and how it is presented.
The thing that surprised me is how useful the book would be as a tutorial on the subject. I am not sure whether this is down to the way the book is written or the actual content in the MCAD exams but it definitely makes a good introduction to ASP.NET.
I am now using the Kalani book for 70-320 XML and Web Services and finding it equally as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good ... just need a little bit more to pass the exam, 4 Nov. 2004
Be prepared! This one is definitely the toughest exam of the MCSD lot. There are a lot of different topics to study for this exam.
Good news: This book covers all these areas in details and gets you well prepared for the exam. I am very glad that I chose that book indeed. It's easy to follow (well, easy-ish!) and the 15 questions exam at the end of the chapters are very useful.
Only 4 stars though, because
A) there are loads of questions on ADO.Net, XML and XSD in the exam and I feel that this book did not cover this topic in details enough.
B) I like to combine a good book to learn and Transcender to cram. So I think that you need a little bit more than just this book to pass the exam.
Still, if there was one book that I'd recommend for this exam, it would be this one!
Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best 70-315 book in the world, 2 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
Having purchased the official MS Press book and realising how rubbish it was, I decided to give this book a try. This book is far, far better than the MS Press 70-315 book.
Having just taken the exam (and passed) I can safely say that using this book should be enough to get you through. You might want to get Sceppa’s ADO.NET core reference book too (which is also a very good book), as perhaps this book is a bit thin on the ground when it comes to ADO.NET.
My only negative comment is the book is very big and takes a while to read. But it got me through the exam, which I know the MS Press book wouldn’t have done…

4.0 out of 5 stars Get pass the exam, 26 Oct. 2003
Bought the book specifically to pass the 70-315 exam. I had solid VC++ and VB6 experience, and medium of Java, and .NET. I read it from cover to cover and did the code labs. I used the supplied test exam to gauge my weaknesses and browsed the MSDN to pick up extra details.
By itself, the book has just enough information to pass the exam as long as you read and learn ALL of it. It's a great book, and does the job!

5.0 out of 5 stars It looked so small in the picture online!, 2 Jun. 2006
Adrian Phillips (Fairburn, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book to help me study for the 70-315 exam and more importantly fill the many holes in my ASP.NET knowledge (which it certainly did). I divided up the chapters and read most of it in about 3 weeks. Keeping mainly to the text and about 50% of the StepByStep exercises. There's enough detail and extra exercises, review questions, exam questions and facts to help you absorb the detail no matter what your study method is. I took my 70-315 exam today and scored 791 (pass mark of 700). The book worked for me, and my once very basic knowledge of ASP.NET is now very much improved. I found this book very easy to get on with and will be ordering the others to complete my MCAD.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got 1000%... oh yeah yeah yeah, 8 July 2005
If you want to pass the exam (yes sir, me sir) then working through the examples in this book are the way to go. The chapter-ending questions are good for reinforcement but having done the Measure Up tests I would recommend them if you have the inclination. However, if you're starting with ASP.NET development then this book is as good as any. Onion's book is an excellent compliment for the detail and on page processing & security. Kalani's book here will get you up and running - just skim the first chapter as it digs a little deep on events for us ASP converts. I got this book 2 years ago when I first started ASP.NET and have since used it directly for learning about validation controls, data access, user controls, deployment and use of the cache. It's very clear, easy on the eye, and I keep the pdf version of the book (which is on the CD) with me at all times. Use of English might be an issue if you're into that sort of thing but to be honest the re-reading of certain places made me learn more. Money well spent (unless you snaffled it from your last place of work).

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 Feb. 2005
I have just finished each chapter of this book and will now go back and review the many mock exam questions, including a 75 question exam at the back of the book. It also contains many exam tips which other books fail to highlight, along with a companion CD which has many more sample exam questions. So far I have been more than happy with the content and believe it will give me an advantage when I take the exam in May 2005.
After reading the first two chapters of this book, I bought the companion Web services book simply because Amit Kalani shows you how to do things in a simple, straightforward way. My only regret is that I didn't buy his Windows applications book before I took and passed that exam. I will be buying it soon as a reference book as I think that Amit is truly THE authority on C#.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book got me through the exam!, 24 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
As others have said, a GREAT book (defo the best web-related technical book that I've used so far).
I used a similar approach to Emma Burrows below (ie took a few weeks to go through the book from cover to cover, doing all the exercises in the chapters), then took a break for a while and tried to use what I'd learnt from the book in my every day work, and returned to it a couple of months later. I then re-read the whole book within a couple of weeks - re-reading the complete material again, but saving time by just reading through the code in the examples, and making sure I could see how things worked. I then did all the exam questions at the back of each chapter. Initially, I thought that some of the questions were a bit vague, and some could have had more than 1 answer, but the good thing about this is that it made me more cautious about how the final exam could catch me out. These end-of-chapter exam questions were also really good and ensuring that I picked up important exam information that I would have otherwise missed if I didn't do them.
I then did the complete exam at the back of the book, and only an hour later I did the exam on the included CD (scoring an average of about 88% between both types of exams).
I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with the CD, as at least 2 of the questions had been incorrectly entered (eg I chose option A, but then somehow the test told me that I'd chosen B, which was wrong). I also found a couple of questions that, in the real world, would have been wrong or too vague for the user to be able to make the right decision. However, this is not the fault of the book, but the vendor of the CD.
Anyway, the next day I took my exam. Initially, I was a bit alarmed to find some material in the exam that was not covered at all in the book, but I still managed to pass with a mark of 867 (quite consistent with the results I got from the book and CD exams, don't you think?), so all was well in the end, and I've passed this exam. :)
Speaking to a few friends that know a fair bit about these exams, they all said that they'd heard the exams have become more difficult as of late, so I guess this is why some of the material was not covered in the book.
This is why the book gets "only" 4 stars from me, otherwise it would get the full 5. But overall, I'd say that this book is a MUST if you're doing this exam. Just that you might want to look into database and ADO.NET stuff a bit more (in particular, SQL Server) - very naughty of MS here, as that's a different MCAD exam topic! ;)