on 9 June 2000
This book is very good and is very well written. It has very good use of english and his examples are well written, it covers everything you need to know about starting to program more advanced applications in Linux . It has great sections on ncurses and IPC, it even has sections on socket programming, advanced file handling and also sound programming using OSS, which I was impressed by. The only thing it didn't have was anything todo with was programming X,QT etc but that would probably be better in another book.
Overall I would recomend this book to anyone who wants to go a deeper in to programming for Linux Using C, buy this book
on 12 June 2002
For me, the most important feature in a programming book is what you are able to do after you read it.
In my case I was able to do almost everything I wanted. This book only teach you how to program for Linux not XWindows, KDE, GNOME, Motif, etc. But I think it's essential for any middle level C and C++ progammer that what to start programming on Linux.
It's very well organized, with simple and very understandable examples. Simple with no unecessary comments or texts, the author goes directly to the subject.
If I could I would give 6 STARS to this book.
I recommend.
on 31 July 2002
This is the only book I've ever stuck with from beginning to end on the language of C. Kurt Wall explains some pretty technical stuff in easy to understand chucks. It's actually an easy read.
The success of this book for me lies in the fact that most chapters are about 20 pages long, meaning you are not bogged down on one topic for 150 pages by which time your enthusiasm has waned.
If you stick with this book to the end and try the examples throughout the chapters, you will have no problem completing the project at the end of the book.
on 31 January 2003
I recently read this book after having it gather dust on my shelf for about a year, and I was pleasantly surprised. This book covers all of the basics of system-level C programming in Linux, and I particularly enjoyed the chapters on system calls, process management, shared memory, TCP/IP programming and gdb. Books on these subjects tend to be boring and lengthy, but Kurt has managed to keep on topic and consise throughout the book. What set this book apart from "all the others" is the excellent example in the end of the book, a music CD database which uses most of the consepts taught in the book.
Highly recommended!
on 24 April 2015
Very good book, had a lot of interesting stuff that relates to the Curses programming. This will help with C programming on Linux.
on 16 January 2002
For many mastering K&R marks the end of their investigation of C, this is a mistake. K&R is only a milestone and Linux Programming By Example shows you this.
While armed with the book you will be able to put together almost any program you heart may desire.
Making it truely a book that takes the skilled programmer and shows you why you bothered to study so hard.