Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 October 2006
We read this book prior to visiting Paris this summer. This book gave our 6-year-old son the insight to the city and worked almost like a city guide for him. I have been to Paris many times before, but it was so nice to see things from a child's view and I saw new things this time, thanks to this book. Although this is an old book, it still works very well. We have the author's London book as well and enjoy it as much. Great books for a show & tell as well!
on 22 January 2008
I totally disagree with the "review" that said that this book was suitable for children up to the age of 10 only.

Although my children are only six and nine and both hugely enjoy all the Sasek books, my husband and I also fully endorse the content and pictures, old-fashioned as it may be; moreover, whoever we have shown the book to, young and old, have instantly said, "I simply must have that book" or "I simply must get that book for so and so, etc." Some of the out of date factual information has been updated in the back of the book, and so what, any way? - what a treat to see the world how it was fifty years or so earlier, a lot more picturesque than it is now, and therein lies its charm. I would certainly prefer this book to be given to ten year olds up than some of the vulgar rubbish that is on the curriculum for them : there is something for all age groups to enjoy in this book, on varying levels.
This wonderful picture book is one of a series about cities of the world by Miroslav Sasek. Other books include, “This is New York,” “This is Rome” and “This is London.” Full of wonderfully retro illustrations, young readers are taken on a joyous tour of Paris. Although published in 1959, this is still a recognisable Paris – with well known tourist sites within the pages. Packed with information; children will see artists, cathedrals, cafes and famous paintings, which give a real sense of the city. There are also snippets of history and lots of humour, especially in the illustrations. My eight year old daughter loved this book. We also have the London book and I look forward to getting more in the series – they are timeless introductions to some of the most beautiful cities in the world.
on 2 January 2014
I was very excited to add to my 'This is...' collection, but having leafed through 'Paris' I feel some of the pages' printing/image quality is sub-standard.
I like Sasek's work for its simplicity, so I was a bit annoyed that certain images let the book down by being a bit too bright (p.6?), and blurry (p.24, p.42, p.56 and especially p.49!)

I appreciate these are vintage illustrations, and crisp line/colour cannot always be expected, but the publisher/printers really could have tried harder.

Love the rest of the book, though!
on 28 August 2013
We took my kids to Paris this summer and I wanted to give them something that would help explain it to them. They loved this book, as did I. Paris has changed a lot, but the essence is still there and it gave them a great idea of the sights they could expect to see.

Beautiful book, beautifully illustrated, very much enjoyed by the kids. Can't find it anywhere, though...
on 29 April 2012
We took our daughters on a trip to Paris and bought this book to remind them of their adventures. They are aged 6 and 4. Both love looking at the illustrations as they capture Paris beautifully. This is a wonderful book, harking back to an era when illustrations were a labour of love, with a quality that will always stand the test of time. I only wish there were more.
on 6 December 2011
Fabulous drawings of Paris..with some lovely details of the past.The policemen on bikes are great.I bought this as a gift for my 5 year old grand-daughter as we had visited Paris ..she will love it. I bought This is London last year which is just as good. I see there is one for Venice...might go there next
on 28 April 2012
Not as good as "This is Rome': more out of date (written in 1959), because it focuses more on (bygone) aspects of lifestyle and less on buildings and monuments - but still of interest to grandchildren about to visit.This is Paris (This Is . . .)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2013
I collect Sasek's books, and this one as always delivers. Witty and intelligent prose, and lovely intricate illustrations which have a very retro feel. Paris fans (old and new) I defy you not to like this book!
on 4 February 2014
Used it in school when doing a project on Paris. The illustrations are great although you should be aware that they are from an earlier time than the present day. It's enchanting.