‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable by all ages, 28 Oct 2006
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
I am so pleased that the "This Is" series of books by Miroslav Sasek are back in print. Elsewhere, the comments on Sasek's work have been "only good for children up to 3 years!" Well, I'm in my fifties and I intend to collect the ones I most enjoyed as a child, such as This Is San Francisco and This Is Rome. In an age of electronic wizardry Sasek's books stand out as a reminder of a time when books were the chief form of entertainment and education.

Sasek's art and wit are truly original and unique. He manages to take the reader on a journey through both the landmarks of his subject and the everday minutiae that makes up a country and its culture. Each book is a remarkable achievement.

It must be remembered that the chief driver for Sasek's success was the explosion of foreign travel for leisure during the 50s and 60s.

Do his books stand the test of time? Well, to be truthful the answer is no if you want up to date facts and figures. However, I cannot see how his quirky, funny pictures coupled with his subtle wit would not continue to amuse and educate children of all ages for generations to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Engaging Read, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
My 6 year old was utterly engaged by this book. He chose to sit and read it cover to cover. Now when we are travelling, we buy a book from this series if we can. They make super child friendly travel guides. I thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic - A book to keep for future generations, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
These books are absolute classics that just don't date! Beautifully and quirkily illustrated and written by Sasek they are great for showing small children places you may visit. My kids love them and we have several for places we have visited and sights they have seen in real life as well as in the books. They're like the books I had when I was a child so I enjoy them as much as my little girl and boy do. Look after them and keep them for future generations of your family. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 6 May 2010
G. Byrne "doublenegative" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
Yes, it's true that some of the facts and figures in this book are no longer valid but who cares? At the back of this reprinted edition it lists the updated information according to the page number. The illustrations stand out for me and any adult could appreciate Sasek's very individual and playful style. Oh, and my 4 year old really likes it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
Lovely keepsake for a non-Londoner. Lots of interesting facts and great old fashioned illustrations. A book to treasure forever. Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro London, 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
I bought this as a gift for a little boy but I think it's a great gift for his parents too! Excellent retro style book. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids, 24 May 2010
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
I brought the book back as a gift for a child. He loves the book and learning about London (where his parents used to live). He's 7 years old and reads it, talks about the pictures, and re-reads it a lot. I'll definitely look for others in the series if I need another travel gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book from a Master Illustrator, 9 Sep 2011
Brendan Waller (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
Having seen this book in various shops around London over the years, but usually never having the spare spends to pick one up, I thought it was high time I checked it out on Amazon. As usual the Amazon price and delivery was top notch.

The book itself is gorgeous, and the particular view of London it presents is all the better for coming from the eye and pen of Czech illustrator Miroslav Sasek. The illustrations have a timeless feel and the short informative bursts of text are full of little nuggets of information (the updates at the back of the book are of particular interest more than half a century on from the initial publication). There are stereotypical scenes and characters but they are presented affectionately rather than patronisingly and the whole thing helps stir up a feeling of pride for a great city - at the same time making the reader feel nostalgic for a past that they may not have even witnessed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really beautiful book..., 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
Really beautiful book for children as well as adults. Great for a gift! Got if for a friend's child for Xmas and they loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW Our whole family love this book!, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: This is London (This Is . . .) (Hardcover)
I think whether you know London or not: this book is amazing. I grew up there but my 3 year old and twin babies don't know London: they love learning from it. And my husband and I have just loved the pictures and beautiful paintings of what london was like in the 50s. All the cars parked in front of Westminster abbey is amazing, and the sights are so different as it was just another city then: but for a family it is perfect and on a budget as the sights in 1950s london did not cost the amount the new attractions are now! Great buy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

This is London (This Is . . .)
This is London (This Is . . .) by Miroslav Sasek (Hardcover - 25 Jun 2004)