5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyment
It has some great ideas on how to do Christian leadership in a changing word. It has helped to want to listen to people's stories before I start wanting to bring about change.
Published 9 months ago by Eugene Martin

I had high hopes for this book. The things that spoilt it for me were the large amounts of technical-speak, especially at the beginning and the bias towards "emergent church" theology.

Published 5 months ago by D

2.0 out of 5 stars "Mission"? Yes; "Missional"? Not if that means being "emergent"., 2 Jun 2014

Wading through the first part of the book was tough due to the specialist language. I understand this is required sometimes to accurately talk about group related trends. However, it can take the joy out of reading it as someone on the ground who just wants practical approaches I can put in place.

I felt disappointed that for the writers (and as I found out later, others also) "Missional" seems to be synonymous with "emergent". Neither of these things were defined or explained at the beginning of the book, so the book is largely about the need to change your church into an emergent church without explaining this directly, why we should or dealing with any of the issues involved. If they wanted to write about becoming and emergent church, that is fine and the prerogative. However, I would like the choice of deciding whether I agree with some sign posting at the beginning before I am placed in the water.

Whilst I can go along with some of the ideas, such as having discussions with the congregation about the quality of our Christian experience, the past, how to meet the needs of the community and the need for helping congregations change towards a mission orientated mindset, I cannot go along with emergent church theology. If you research it, there are various teachings which are a problem for me and will no doubt be for others. I reject the idea that to be mission orientated, you must be "emergent" in your theology but this book may lead to that for those who follow through with the change the book initiates towards it without first making this clear.

The book could have been awesome but I feel that it was let down by the heavy leanings towards a somewhat shady theology. I so want to be a good 21st century missionary, but I felt this book wasted my time because so much of it was rather technical or plunged the reader towards the idea of becoming "emergent" assuming this was desirable, without giving them them a rationale or a choice, so the time spend on these things was not worth it for me. I am grateful for having my eyes opened about how much emergent theology is taking hold, so the book indirectly helped me. However, I spend to much time combing through passages to avoid seeds of emergent theology. In that sense, rather than helping me, reading it got in my way.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the average minister., 27 Feb 2014
CW (Argyll, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Missional Leader: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World (Jossey-Bass Leadership Network Series) (Hardcover)
I am one of the 36% of the population who describe themselves as Christian but are totally disenchanted with the institutional church. This book is about ministers learning to recognise the needs, desires, abilities of church members and changing their approach to ministry. The usual culture is one where the minister rules the roost and does his own thing expecting the congregation to jump to his command and then getting upset when they don't want to follow. This is the failing approach that we see commonly throughout Britain. Fortunately some have seen the light and have joined the trend of emerging church. All ministers should rush to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyment, 2 Feb 2014