1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality practical resource, written by a teacher., 14 May 1999
By A Customer
I have ten years of teaching experience, and have conducted workshops on writer's workshop for the past five years. Most of the teachers I meet are eager to implement the writing process in their classrooms, and want detailed instructions on how to go about it. They don't want to start from scratch. This book provides guidance from the perspective of a teacher, without ever sounding condescending or dull. Each section on the first half breaks down an aspect of the process, from pre-writing to publishing. The second half is devoted to mini-lessons on genre, style and mechanics. Big deal, you will say, I've seen a hundred books like that! But here's what's great about it: The author describes the lessons succinctly, in a peer-to-peer style, gives you truly useful tips, and the masters are like the ones I would create myself. I am now showing it in every workshop I do, and planning to use it in a summer course I teach for the Bay Area Writing Project. The book is well worth the money for anyone teaching grades 3rd through high school.

Writing Workshop Survival Kit (J-B Ed: Survival Guides)
Writing Workshop Survival Kit (J-B Ed: Survival Guides) by Gary Robert Muschla (Paperback - 7 Oct 2005)