4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but difficult to follow at times

2.0 out of 5 stars Pop Psyche meets Education
Published on 29 July 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but difficult to follow at times, 2 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life (Hardcover)
This book is probably better for high school teachers and college professors than it is for elementary and middle school educators. Very philosophical and sometimes hard to follow. I like the way he uses quotes from literary works as well as real life experiences to bring out his points. His arguments for subject-centered teaching; the need for connectedness between teacher, subject, and students; the collective inquiry approach; and the need for educators to have more collaborative time are thoroughly presented and convincing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pop Psyche meets Education, 29 July 1998
By A Customer
I wanted to like this book as it had been recommended by a friend, but I couldn't do it. Nothing pulled me through the book at all. Maybe it's because I'm not discouraged as a teacher, but I was only able to find bits and pieces that worked for me. That and the book seemed riddled with pop-psych terminology which turned me off. I ask only of a writer that he or she write well and have a passion. Palmer is passionate, but the book is not well written. If teachers are looking for the courage to teach, they should find one of James Herndon's books (two of which are recently back in print) or read Kozol's _Savage Inequalities_ or any one of Ted Sizer's books. I applaud Palmer's intentions, but the end result is lacking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the life dedicated to expressing true self., 24 April 1999
By A Customer
I am a college student majoring in education and I read this book for class. This book helped me understand the techniques of seeing the inner self through the education of the most intuitive, the children we teach. I realize that to educate is to continualy learn and expand the aspect of our humanity which matters the most, our inner self. To know the self and express this is the purpose of our education and our instruction. There are forces which disconnect us from the student, the subject and the self. It is the purpose of introspection to learn how to unblock these learned limits so they are not pass to the next level of learners. It is not only important that educators teach students about the self, but also how this knowledge translates to possitive growth in other lives. J. Plamer indicated we are not an Island unto ourselves but like vessels in which to carry life giving guidance to others. If we do not possess life giving knowledge we cannot express it to our students. This book was very important just as the book, "The Artists Way by Julia Cameron."

5.0 out of 5 stars Must reading for every teacher!, 21 May 1998
By A Customer
The Courage to Teach is likely to become a classic because it offers inspiration, constructive ways to think about teaching and ourselves as teachers, guidelines for engaging in professional conversations about teaching, brilliant and novel insights -- all in beautiful prose laced with humor and good stories. If the ideas in this book were embraced by the profession, they would revolutionize the classroom and improve the lives of both students and teachers. Palmer has thought deeply and well about the teaching life and created a book with soul. I plan to reread it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book was insightful, but the writing was overdone., 3 April 1999
By A Customer
I am a college student majoring in the field of education. I read The Courage To Teach to fulfill an assignment. I found Palmer's theories on teaching from the innerself to be honest and insightful. His ideas on educational reform strike true particularly in light of all the failed attempts at reform. I found the downside of the book to be Palmer's writing style. The complexity of his writing made the reading so tedious that it took away from what could have been an enjoyable and eye-opening discovery for teachers at any stage in their careers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading Group Favorite, 22 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
My professional reading group is currently reading and journaling about The Courage To Teach. We have read many books about teaching and learning together, but Palmer's book brings us to our knees. As we focus on "Who" we are as educators, we are forced to soulfully search our spirits for that which makes us willing to greet each day in the classroom. We unanimously agree that Palmer's book should be required reading for every teacher in America. We are finding ourselves again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning as a community, 29 April 1999
By A Customer
Parker guides us through a learning experience where the teacher learns to become an aid to students. His methods of commuity allow the teacher become a part of an intimate community where every student learns from self discovery. However, he also explains that before we can help other in thier self discovery we must first explore our selves and become solid and firm in how we are... teaching from within.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius, 15 July 2013
This is a really humane way of looking at teaching. I found myself so absorbed in this book that I read it in a day. Parker Palmer's work should be on the bookshelves of every educational institution around the globe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Thoughtful, thought-provoking, and thorough., 28 May 1999
By A Customer
Perhaps the most thoughtful and thought-provoking analysis of the inner life of teachers available today. If you teach in any way in your vocation or avocation, know someone who teaches, or are simply interested in teaching, this is a book for your bookshelf. Palmer's perspectives deepen our insight and engage our intellect on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Jan. 2015
yes I was happy with the condition of the book

The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life