5.0 out of 5 stars Nice setup for more stories
Although it sets up the Sundering to occur, the story is about characters that any Salvatore fan will know and will have likely missed. As much as I love Drizzt without his friends it has become a bit.....depressing with Drizzt on a constant downer. His friends come back and in a great and entertaining way. What would you do with a second chance at life ? How would you...
Published 8 months ago by D. Henwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying hard to enjoy it...
This book has me split. On the one hand, I love the Forgotten Realms as a setting and how it ties into games (playing Neverwinter at the mo and Baldur's Gate gets dusted off every year or so for a play through). On the other hand, this is the most dramatic reset point for Wizards of the Coast that I can remember. It is part of a series of book that sets up the new world...
Published 13 months ago by Darck

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
What can I say. A very interesting read with real depth of character development. Has made me buy the next Sundering novel which is equally good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting read fro cover to cover, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
R A Salvatore takes us back to the Heroes of the Hall in style with the opening tale of The Sundering, (another) world shaking event set to change the face of our beloved Realms once again.

While I havent been a fan of these shake-ups to tie in with the changes of rules editions, as the books are based upon the RPG I guess we have to accept them, but this time it feels more like the Forgotten Realms are heading back to the setting I remember from the original trilogy of books.

One of the best Drizzt tales in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 23 Oct 2013
I've been enjoying the work of R.A. Salvatore for many many years. This (to date) is one of the finest books he has written. Utterly compelling from start to finish and a fitting beginning to this new saga set within The Forgotten realms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
This book is the best RA Salvatore wrote ever.

Got so hooked to it from the start, that managed to read it over the weekend (doing nothing else).
That's something never have done over the 25 years reading Forgotten Realms novels.
Also leaves hope that the upcoming Hunter Trilogy will be as good, as any other in the past.

And compensates for the poor ending of the Last Threshold from the very first chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. But have lost my favourite charactor.................Drizzt, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
Having read every single book about this amazingly wonderful character, the final episode was not a disappointment; the story line brought back all friends from the past in such a way as to bring back those memories big time for the reader. An end to a brilliant fantasy; these books are for keeps. Goodbye Drizzt, enjoy your new life...................... and thank you for having come into mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sundering, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
What a surpise awaits you. This must have been planned well in advance..This book and the rest of the series is a must have. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment.... BUY, BUY , BUY....Honest you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller coaster ride, 30 Aug 2013
From start to finish a tale needing to be told. How well it has been told! Intimate with intense despair followed by soaring highs. The truth of honour, love and most of all... Companionship the like we all wished we could have. The four heroes return changed but with there are heart true. Watch and see how even reborn friendship can overcome all. The best tale of the companions since the beginning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!, 28 Aug 2013
Just wow !!!
I don't care that it's a resurrection of old dead characters it was just so simply awesome !!
Hats off again to Bob

4.0 out of 5 stars A fond return to my youth, 28 Aug 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ah the sweet pleasures of my youth when I originally discovered Drizzt Do'Urden alongside his fellow companions, Catti-brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor Battlehammer and Regis the Halfling. I had many an adventure with some or all of them and loved the chance to get to spend time away from the real world in their realm.

SO when I discovered this new book coming out by Raymond, I couldn't wait to get back to my "friends" to see what he had in store for them. As usual the pace is direct and with the story being told from various points of view, as all within embark upon a new adventure to aid the realm and one of the friends in the future. Its definitely a title that will span the turn of time which when added to a whole series that will bring top talent to the fore will generate something special all round. I can't wait to see what the others have in store.

5.0 out of 5 stars D&D Fiction As It Should Be, 25 Aug 2013
I know people that have not read a D&D novel in thirty years because some of the earliest ones were terrible. The Drizzt books by Salvatore were never in this group. They were always more about the internal struggle than a simple hack and slash dungeon bash story. If you haven't read any of the previous Drizzt books I can highly recommend going back and giving them a try. You don't need to have read them to enjoy this book as it does give you a good insight in to the characters (very handy given how long it has been since I read the original books) but you will have more emotional attachment to the characters if you have read them first.

Drizzt is a Drow. A Dark Elf. Except he doesn't follow the usual path of his kind. He is a chosen of a nature god but the spider queen will not relinquish her hold on one born to worship her. This battle between gods is mirrored in his continual battle to find his place in the world. For a while his friends and companions anchored him and made him happy. After their passing his life was never the same.

The story starts with the good gods allowing the heroic companions of the hall to be re-incarnated. The fascinating wrinkle is that they are completely aware of their past lives from birth and are fully aware of their surroundings. This sounds pretty cool at first. Then as the story progresses you realize just how frustrating it must be to be trapped in the body of a child if you have been a dwarven king or any of the other companions. There are fights and battles in this book but most of the tension is internal.

The ending of this book was stunning. I actually gasped out loud. I will not say any more than that because I do not want to spoil the surprise.

The Companions: The Sundering, Book I
The Companions: The Sundering, Book I by R. A. Salvatore (Hardcover - 27 Aug 2013)