5.0 out of 5 stars Heroes Reborn!! Lost years
Published 7 months ago by K. G. A. Alavi

3.0 out of 5 stars Drizzt, but not as we know it.
Salvatore's long game plan comes out to play. All the characters you missed but not quite how you remember them. Clearly written, somewhat inventive but not quite to the high standards he has set himself.

Published 14 days ago by plodder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heroes Reborn!! Lost years, 12 Sep 2013
K. G. A. Alavi (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
Great book. Usually I hate prequels; luckily this is not a prequel. More of a fill in the gaps and tying up loose ends. Dating back to The Ghost King (Transitions) the devastating spellplague. The Sundering seems to be the end of the Spellplague, so the magic users again have to relearn the ways of magic, again shifting the balance of power in the realms as a character says the cleverest people will take advantage of this. I do not think Drizzts and his friends will be very involved in the Sundering I think 6 different authors are using their characters in the other books. I think the next continuation as far as the Companions of the Hall are concerned is Night of the Hunter: Companions Codex, I. I personally think having Drizzt in a magic fight of comic importance is useless so I will not be getting the other Sundering books, I do not think he will be in them anyway.

The Companions of the Hall have been given a choice to be reborn and help their beloved friend Drizzt Do'Urden in his greatest time of need (emotionally and physically). Sounds easy and to some it is but to others it means turning their back of a lifetime of service and devotion to their own Gods, can they do that even for a friend such as Drizzt? That is the first challenge, the next is to survive 21 year in their new-born bodies then reach an appointed time at the end of the last book where Drizzt must choose his path of battle and pleasure like Dahlia Sin'felle making his more of a disciple of Lady Loth then his goddess of choice Mielikki.

There are other factor as well in 21 year of their new life each of the companions form new bonds, in some cases find new powers and skills, and find unfinished business from their previous existence. Each has to answer the question having a second chance at life do they settle in to their new life or do they risk everything on a chance they could help their friend (who could possibly have dies 1000 different ways in the time the friends are supposed to meet again).

A great book trying and promising resolutions to books from Transitions trilogy, to the Neverwinter saga and including Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales (Dungeons & Dragons (Idw Hardcover)) comic. A must have for Drizzt followers. I would have liked more of Drizzt in the book but I can understand why that was not the case, he is mentioned more for his passed deeds, how his legend has been perceived by others and what other think of him. A lot more story driven the Salvatore's other books. Get this book you will not regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drizzt, but not as we know it., 6 April 2014

If anything, is Drizzt's story finally told and time to move on. Next we will see Cadderly back, which as he was chosen should fit the pattern and then we are in full circle to the Crystal Shard and the Dragon King.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 1 April 2014
Could not put it down once I started reading. Now I am waiting for the next book to find out what happens
to Drizzt and his friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice setup for more stories, 29 Mar 2014
D. Henwood (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Although it sets up the Sundering to occur, the story is about characters that any Salvatore fan will know and will have likely missed. As much as I love Drizzt without his friends it has become a bit.....depressing with Drizzt on a constant downer. His friends come back and in a great and entertaining way. What would you do with a second chance at life ? How would you change your path ? What if your second chance was set out for you.....would you stick to it ? Great reading about old characters given a new lease of life

5.0 out of 5 stars Just one word can explain this book AMAZING! Just AMAZING!, 5 Mar 2014
Just gripping from start to finish am a big r a Salvatore fan read all books but biggest fan of Drizzt books and bigger fan of the ones with the companions of the hall characters through the years I have read the books and loved these characters Bruner,catti brie,wulfgar and Regis and was gutted when these characters where killed of and brought a tear to my eyes like losing something even though drizzt is my favourite character of all Salvatore characters his books have been missing these companions that made them good so happy he brought them back and hope they stay for a long time even though drizzt wasn't in much didn't care which was such a shock him.being my favourite character but great story loved reading about the companions growing up and there struggles on there path to save there friend drizzt this is by far my favourite in series and can't wait to read the 2nd book can't say anything bad about it if had to say anything bad thought story could be longer but understand with making the other 2 to come out sooner and close to each other recommend to all drizzt and companions fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and better than ever., 21 Nov 2013
A true story of friendship lasting even the cold reality of death, I can't wait for the next installation of this saga

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying hard to enjoy it..., 17 Nov 2013
Darck "D_Cloud" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
This book has me split. On the one hand, I love the Forgotten Realms as a setting and how it ties into games (playing Neverwinter at the mo and Baldur's Gate gets dusted off every year or so for a play through). On the other hand, this is the most dramatic reset point for Wizards of the Coast that I can remember. It is part of a series of book that sets up the new world rules and reminds me more of a DC/ Marvel reaction to being stuck with something - they basically just reshape the world so that it makes sense again. Think of every time they kill or incapacitate Bruce Wayne or Batman only to bring him back. Or kill Superman. Or Spider-Man. This is the Wizards version, bringing back old characters that the readers have loved from the grave - in some cases, after more than a hundred years have passed.

We'll see how the new direction unfolds; however Salvatore for his part has done a good job of giving old characters a new start, making them both fresh and recognisable at the same time. Any Drizzt fans will have already bought this, but it's not his story for the most part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
What can I say. A very interesting read with real depth of character development. Has made me buy the next Sundering novel which is equally good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting read fro cover to cover, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Hardcover)
R A Salvatore takes us back to the Heroes of the Hall in style with the opening tale of The Sundering, (another) world shaking event set to change the face of our beloved Realms once again.

While I havent been a fan of these shake-ups to tie in with the changes of rules editions, as the books are based upon the RPG I guess we have to accept them, but this time it feels more like the Forgotten Realms are heading back to the setting I remember from the original trilogy of books.

One of the best Drizzt tales in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 23 Oct 2013
I've been enjoying the work of R.A. Salvatore for many many years. This (to date) is one of the finest books he has written. Utterly compelling from start to finish and a fitting beginning to this new saga set within The Forgotten realms.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb33292a0)

The Companions: The Sundering, Book I
The Companions: The Sundering, Book I by R. A. Salvatore (Hardcover - 27 Aug 2013)
16.21