5.0 out of 5 stars Great for when your players throw you a curveball, 20 Aug 2011
J. Perry "Grubbyfoot" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen ("Dungeons & Dragons" Accessory) ("Dungeons & Dragons" Accessory) (Hardcover)
I was previously borrowing another players copy of the original DM screen but picked this up when I saw the revised info. They've done a good job of putting in things you might want at the table too often to look up easily. Skill difficulty by level is great for winging skill checks, and there's a great table of conditions which is handy.

For example, when I dropped my players from a few hundred feet ont a rural villiage, the warlock wanted to know if teleports obeyed newtons first law. That last sentence possibly made me the nerdiest guy on the planet but PRESSING ON, I decided that when your teleporting with magic Mr Newton has definately left the building, but it would take a little extra magical shenanigans to override the laws of physics; one "Hard" DC arcana check later and the warlock had made an impressive entance believing I had prepared a skill challenge for the whole thing. Then he was kidnapped by Asmodeus but that's another story.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I'd recommend getting this for any newish DM out there, or any expert who doesn't like to look things up if they can make them up. My friendly local gaming store (in the UK) has had problms getting hold of these from their supplier too so Amazon seems like a good place to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a Requirement, 6 Jun 2013
James J. Rogers (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
The updated DM screen contains corrected DC charts for skills and challenges as well as providing a concise summary of the important finicky rules which if you had to look up each time would slow the game down. The artwork is nice and the product is thick and durable. It does it's job - like it says on the tin it's a screen with some DM charts. However it is not expensive and after the core books and possibly a module/campaign setting any budding 4E dm should get this.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice set of cardboard and ink, 10 Mar 2011
Peter Stiles (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This screen is just as functional as the previous version and the one in the DMKit. Four landscape pieces of card with numbers on one side and a piccy on the other. Keeps the players from seeing what I'm doing and hides a multitude of cheating from them...

Whether the charts are of any use to you or not is the selling point, I 'spose.

In ye olde-days I used to just Close My Book and then Open It Again when I needed; but these days its useful, or even necessary, to have the two-page spread of an encounter open in front of you. Sellotaping boxes together is so old-hat.

Well, it *is* useful for more than player/adventure obfuscation. I find that I use the "combat status" section often during play. This screen has a couple of extras over the original 4E screen. The other section I find I use is the "Skill DCs by Level", which is the fully expanded version from Essentials onwards, so slightly easier on the PCs than the original edition.

Not really worth it if you already have a 4e screen. Definitely worth it if you don't.

I could justify it 'cos I'm starting to DM a second group soon and reducing the movement of books etc from one venue to another is high on my priority list...

5.0 out of 5 stars Which DM doesn't need one?, 4 Nov 2013
Easy to read rules on the back, very awesome picture on the front. Do you need more? it's easy layout and quick check rules makes this item something every DM needs!

5.0 out of 5 stars great item very useful, 17 Oct 2013
just what i needed to help a new doungeon master help the game flow better. great item very useful thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful product, 1 Sep 2013
I purchased this for two reasons. Firstly to conceal my notes and dice roles from my players, and secondly to have all the info on the screen close at hand.Quality wise the screen seems very durable and well produced.I wont go into detail on the stats etc printed on the screen as if you are going to buy one you pretty much know whats on it, but suffice it to say the info should be up to date.Got this screen for around 6 so cheap as chips.Pretty much essential if you are or want to be a DM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooo useful, 16 May 2013
This is so useful for a new DM to use since it has a bunch of stuff about status ailments, dice rolls and the like. It doesn't however have monster stats so you're gonna have to look elsewhere if you wanted that.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 16 May 2013
this is well worth getting for any 4th edition dungeon master, especially since it features artwork from the illustrator for pathfinder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dungeon Master Screen, 14 Jan 2013
An excellent product well worth the money. Bought as a gift for a gamer who was well pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best You Can get! Perfect for whichever edition you're playing. (Quick-read but in-depth review.), 13 Jun 2012
A bunch of us decided to pick up our old D&D games while bringing in a few new players. So I set about digging out our old stuff and looking for additional volumes on Amazon and eBay to bulk our kit back up.

I ended up coming across 2 possibilities for the screen. My Dad had always wanted a proper one and back in the day had built his own as he needed them, but I wanted to really go all out. For this Youtube was invaluable. The 2 main screens you can get today are both from 4th Edition, one bought by itself and one included with the Dungeon Masters kit. There were more than a few video reviews showing the two; the 'included-in-kit' one has far darker artwork displaying a scene of Drow ('Dark Elves' for beginners) in an Underdark-type setting.

Personally, I was leaning toward this one at first as a darker artwork, I felt, might aid the atmosphere a little better with the limited lighting we deliberately use around the gaming table. But the actual board itself is far less well constructed and more plastic-y which can make it hard to position correctly without putting questionable pressure on the creases that separate the four panels of the screen. This, combined with the material used, was worrying as you would shorten the life of the product - which is already shorter than its counterpart.

The 'bought separately' screen (the one you're looking at) was ultimately my choice as it is far better made - the creases carefully cut to allow movement without sacrificing lifespan - is thicker, and a great, great deal more robust. The image on the outside (despite the artwork displayed above) is the same as what you can find reviewed on Youtube; a snowy enviroment during a fantastic-looking fantasy battle between monsters and a group of adventurers. Though not as dark as the other, it simply made more sense to buy this one and, when the lights are down, doesn't mess with the atmosphere the way I had worried it would - in fact it looked great.

Both screens contain the same information too.

We've always preferred the 1st and 2nd Edition stuff for the imaginative focus, what with the mess that was 3rd and the board game-esque setup that can accompany 4th, but that's Hasbro for you. Still, the stats on the inside are mostly universal and the few that are more 4th Edition specific (one or two small tables amidst around a dozen others) can easily be ignored if you don't use them - or used as space to tape self-made info boxes onto as the surface is nicely laminated - and, if 4th edition is your thing, it will work perfectly.

All in all, the product turned out much better than I could have hoped. A few of the newbies to our group are alumni of 3rd Edition, 4th and even Pathfinder which is awesome, and they're all rather impressed with how useful the board is (though a little less so for Pathfinder, obviously), I guess most of them were just using the manuals for cover before now, lol.

If you're looking for a screen, I wholeheartedly recommend this one, and if you're starting out and planning to buy the DM kit, I still advise you to pick this screen up as well. It's not that expensive (I'm certainly not rolling in the money) and you'll find, with one weighed against the other, that you'll prefer using this one to the other every time.

It was also nice to see my Dad's eyes light up when he saw it. He went on about it for days, bringing it up every now and again, which made me smile.

Anyway, hope this was helpful. Happy gaming! :)

ARRAY(0xb156424c)