I had higher hopes for this second volume of The Lost Chronicles trilogy than I did for its predecessor, Dragons of the Dwarven Depths. Indeed, the plotlines which would be explored in Dragons of the Highlord Skies appeared much more interesting than the search for the Hammer of Kharas.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman had the opportunity to expound on the storyline which will later lead Laurana to the position of the Golden General. They also had a chance to flesh out the relationship between Kitiara and Lord Soth, and show us how it all began in Dargaard Keep. Finally, the authors would also be granted the opportunity to elaborate on the Companions' trek to Icereach in search of the dragon orb.

As was the case with the War of Souls trilogy, The Lost Chronicles fail to recapture the magic of the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends. Even though it's a delight to get reacquainted with the Companions, at times it feels as though Weis and Hickman are simply going through the motions. Insofar as I can tell, it doesn't feel as if their hearts are into this project. . .

Let's not forget that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance novels have been translated into twenty languages and have sold more than twenty million copies worldwide. And yet, much like fellow bestselling authors Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings and Terry Brooks, their latest works are clearly uninspired compared to their past collaborations. Dragons of the Highlord Skies lacks the depth and the originality that allowed them to capture the hearts and imagination of a whole generation of fantasy readers.

Sadly, Lord Soth, who could probably have kickstarted this book, only appears in about 10 pages or so. Once again, there's is an inordinate amount of "filler" in this one. As I stated in my review of Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, such portions of the narrative are unnecessary, for readers need to have read the original series to begin with.

I would compare this new Dragonlance trilogy with the Star Wars prequels. Although they'll find a way to satisfy most of the fans on one level or another just for the chance to revisit the War of the Lance, these novels are not of the same quality as the ones that came before.

Having said that, there is nonetheless an undeniable pleasure in this opportunity to follow the adventures of the Heroes of the Lance once more.

Check out my blog: [...]
on 17 February 2015
I was reintroduced to Dragonlance after my daughter asked me if I had any books that she could read, I hadn't been in the world of Krynn since I was a teenager and hold fond memories of the companions Tanis, Flint, Strum, Caramon. Rastilin and Tas battling the Dark Queen, so imagine my delight when I discovered that Weiss and Hickman had wrote a new trilogy in the Lost Chronicles.
Dragons of the Highlord Skies promised to deliver on earlier adventures hinted at in Dragons of Winter Night and I thought I would finally discover the tale of Flint, Strum, Tas and Laurana's quest for the dragon orb at Ice wall castle.
Though the story in itself was compelling - the roundabout way in which we get to the point of the tale is long,laborious and unnecessary. Being a writer myself I can understand how the authors use point A to get to point B and so on, but poor editing and repeating of what had already been stated earlier in the novel drags heavily on the attention. (Had the publishers had even bothered to edit this at all?) This meant that the novel was hard going and unnecessary of the 500+ pages. The whole story could have been condensed down to 300 - 400 pages like in the original chronicles. Unfortunately this created a story that did not have the same flow of it's predecessors, which is a shame because the potential was great in rounding off the chronicles on a high note. The plus point is that I now know what happened at Icereach and how Kitiara came to be with dread Lord Soth.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed volume one of these lost chronicles (Dragons of the Dwarven Depths), so I was looking forward to reading this second volume. It covers a lost plot line from the original Dragonlance Chronicles covering the dragon orb in Icereach, and events in Tarsis with an emphasis on Kitiara Uth Matar and her relationship with her magnificent blue dragon Skie and Lord Ariakas.

Please don't get me wrong, I throughly enjoyed this book, but it did leave me wanting a bit more and I felt some areas were rushed, especially the rescue of the dragon orb from the cavern where Highlord Theal-Fas had secured it with the protection of a supposed sentinel of incredible strength and fear. This seemed to disolve away within a short chapter and I felt could have been played a bit better.

Overall this is a good Dragonlance novel and a brilliant 'supplement' to the original Chronicles and I definitely recommend it, but I am hoping the next volume due out in 2008 (Hourglass Mage) is much better and as Raistlin is my favourite character, I can't wait to read it!
on 22 January 2008
I agree with one of the earlier reviews that there should have been more Lord Soth in the book, Kitiara's "climatic battle" was a disappointment and almost seems to have been written as an afterthought - a waste of a great "hook". Additionally, some of the other characters - in particular tasslehoff - seem to have become characteratures of themselves, their traits overly exaggerated compared to the original novels (Dwarven Depths was worse here). Overall however I found the return to Krynn to be a pleasant experience, and it was nice to see parts of the story "intersect" with certain events in the original novels. Unlike some other readers I enjoyed having some of the old history repeated - it has been many years since I read the original novels, but the first two trilogies remain my favourite books of all time. I also agree that Weis and Hickman are obviously less inspired than they were in the original novels, but not drastically so. These are a huge step up on the recent "Summer Flame" novel which was absolutely appalling in my opinion. Highlord Skies is worth reading, its like a favourite warm blanket and I am looking forward to the final in the trilogy.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2011
The concept of revisiting one of the most loved fantasy campaigns in fiction is certainly an appealing one. The first volume offered a credible entry in to that mythos, however Highlord Skies misses that mark. It presents a plot following Kitiara and her plans for revenge upon a member of the Heroes of the Lance. Revenge, a well used motive for plots in high fantasy is best used as a sub-plot, and although there is a weaker plot running parallel about a quest to retrieve a Dragon Orb, neither combine to offer any real substance. As a short story Weis & Hickman may have pulled this off, however as a lengthy novel is merely offers tedium. Definitely for the completist since the magic of the original series is absent.
on 9 December 2007
This book slots into the end of books 1 & 2 of Dragons of a Winter Night and tells the story of the death of Feal-Thas in Icereach and how Kitiara recruits Lord Soth to the Emperor's legions. This should be a brilliant addition to the Dragonlance canon with Weis & hickman at the helm but sadly it is far from it...
The book's structure is alarmingly poor and you really do get the sense that they were writing to a deadline - they seemed to have decided that the second half of the book would resolve things very quickly. The first half is a very laboured series of recaps and Weis & Hickman trying to be clever with plot by putting minor characters into the 'same room' as the companions and letting their perspective unfold. This is most apparent in the siege of Tarsis section - the writing is very lazy and essentially recaps the assault on Tarsis from the perspective of three Solamnic knights. A particular low point is discovering that Aran, knight of the Crown who hit Tanis in the face with a tomato during the riot... poor.
Furthermore by the final 50 pages of the book it is so structurally bad that we have chapters lasting a mere 3 pages as the writers career recklessly from events in Icereach to Kitiara's journey to Dargard Keep. The whole conclusion to the book smacks of genuine laziness and a rushed deadline set. The drama promised in Icereach is disappointing to say the least.
No doubt stalwarts of the series will buy this book, I just hope you are not as a let down as I was. The real concern is the final part of this trilogy - Raistlin's gaining the Dark Robes, I hope they improve considerably with that tale. That is a story many of us have been waiting nearly two decades for...
on 7 April 2014
Better than the first "Lost Chronicles" novel for me, the story is really compelling making you want to read one more page to see what happens! I just didn't give it 5 stars because I think the first Chronicles are better than anything else, so I can't give the same "grade" to this one too
on 28 March 2012
This book is well written. Read it as part of The Lost Chronicles or alone - but not without knowing anything about DragonLance Chronicles. Read it for more information about some of the main characters and what they were up to in some of the time gaps in the DragonLance Chronicles.
on 3 August 2013
Certainly up to their usual standard of writing. Once picked up and started I can't wait to read it all, and then I want some more !
on 8 March 2014
If you have read no-one else read this pair of wonders....this should get you started on an adventure called literature