5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best book I have ever read, 5 Sep 1998
By A Customer
Being a huge fan of RL novels, I bought SoD along with several other books from the series I didn't have simply for that reason: I didn't own it. Scoping out an almost fanatical website for reviews from all over, I came to the conclusion that many people believed this book to be incredibly good.
They are right!
SoD starts out with a plotline that seems, at first, run-of-the-mill: a (Borcan) man's wife is kidnapped/endangered, and he must save her. However, even though the back of the book tells you the real story, the transition from Borca to Richemulot and the current situation is amazing. I couldn't put the back down, as it drew me in, making me want to know what happened.
The terrifying Renier sisters- who defined villain in this book, IMNSHO -and their clan provided the perfect foil to the protagonist- Aurek Nuiken -and his brother, Dmitri. The sub-plots and intrigue are finely added until one has the perfect example of what an RL book would look like as a tapestry, then begins to resolve each one with deliciously wicked conclusions.
In a world where Good fails more often than not, I expected an ending like I had seen in other novels where Evil is the driving force. But the way it all came out blew me away. I highly recommend this book, which may just be the best book in the series (that I've read).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Scholar of Decay (Ravenloft: The Covenant) (Paperback)
I first read this book a few years ago and though I wouldn't be able to get a decent copy for myself with the Ravenloft series being out of print. (It's good to see some of the books back in print, especially this one.) This story concerns a character known as Dmitri Nuikin and his dealings with a scheming family in a devastated city that gives off a classical French/ Venetian feel.

I found the setting and writing style to be interesting and 'very picture painting.' After finishing the book for the first time I remember having a great conversation with my friend who also read the book before lending it to me. The books a great read and I would certainly recommend it, this book also made me check out other books written by the author Tanya Huff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholar of Decay, 21 Nov 2011
Ms. T. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scholar of Decay (Ravenloft: The Covenant) (Paperback)
This is a good book you feel this the older brother and the younger brother are so different.
The younger brother could be said the be a blinder against the rats and both his brother.
The older brother completely blind to the rest of the world in the search for his wife.
I enjoyed the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not super good., 4 Nov 1998
By A Customer
If you like twist's, you will like this book. It does not have a lot of action but the action in it was good. I would recomend this book to anyone who likes ware beasts.

Scholar of Decay (Ravenloft: The Covenant)
Scholar of Decay (Ravenloft: The Covenant) by Tanya Huff (Paperback - 25 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: £0.71