4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, annoyingly, 4 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Dungeons and Dragons Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebooks (Dungeons & Dragons(r) Gift Set) (Hardcover)
We can all have our opinions on WotC for the products they keep coming up with, especially the v3.5 book only three years after 3rd ed. was launched. But the fact is, these books and especially in this cheaper three-in-one set are an improvement and in my opinion value for money. Rules are clarified, more examples are added, material has been extended and it all fits much better together than in 3rd ed. I waited a year before I bought this set, I didn't regret it once I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it over 4th edtiion, 11 Oct 2008
James J. Rogers (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this litterally 1 week before 4th edition D&D was released to update my 3.0 version. I was initially irritated but having read 4th edition I am glad. All my d20 books are compatable with it and there is a strong 3.5/ d20 community. Plus 4th edition is more like heroquest than D&D.

Reasons why this is good : its simple, you don't need as much (you DO NOT need minis - that is a money spinner) aside from this, the dice, people to play (often the hard part!) and a time to play. 4th ed you need maps, minis all these sorts of things or it becomes difficult to manage.

If you think that wizards are a bit weak at low levels give them infinite cantrips so that they can shoot ray of frost 1/turn or use the classes from the free pathfinder verison.

However in practise they are actually ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Mar 2006
fantastic ... if your a first time dnd role player or a current one wanting to replace books broken (like me way over used :P) its a great deal really cheap and amazon is great better than ebay in my opinion ill always use it :D

Used & New from: £78.00