on 18 April 2006
Reviewing a good adventure is always difficult. I am yearning to recount my party's exploits -- what they did, who they met, where they went -- and yet, at the same time, I would hate to spoil this adventure for any potential players out there.

So, let it simply be said that this adventure ticks all the right boxes. Written by Keith Baker, creator of the Eberron Campaign Setting and winner of the 2002 campaign setting search, it skilfully captures every facet of that world. In just 32 pages, you will find enough action, intrigue, and exploration to keep your players clamouring for more. Balance is strictly maintained throughout, with imaginative and exciting battles that are challenging without being overpowering. The adventure can easily be interwoven with the other adventures in this story arc (namely, Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, and Grasp of the Emerald Claw). Opportunities abound for every class of character to fulfil their potential, and the cinematic tone was strong enough to provoke one of my players to exclaim 'wow, this feels so much like Indiana Jones...'!

This was, for me, the best adventure in the story arc; Whispers of the Vampire's Blade would undoubtedly have capped first place, were it not for a disappointingly-rushed ending. Eberron was new to all of us, but this setting helped us to settle down into the setting with ease, and we are now devout advocates of the world. Having played many published adventures, and having therefore experienced a gamut running from the good to the bad to the ugly (Deep Horizon, anyone?), I can confidently say that Shadows of the Last War restored my faith in professional writers -- long may it last!
on 10 April 2006
I've not yet had a chance to run this adventure with my gaming group as yet, though I've read thru it cover to cover. It certainly seems to tick all of the boxes in terms of elements that make the Eberron campaign setting unique; lots of edge-of-the-seat action sequences, a lot of NPC interaction, and scenes and moments that really stand out from the norm. It even has an interesting new monster type in it. Eberron is a brilliant campaign setting, and this is a great showcase for how the world looks and feels. This adventure is designed for 2nd level characters, and is designed to continue directly the story that began in the Eberron campaign setting book, "The Forgotten Forge". Though if you haven't run this adventure, with some minor adjustments, you could drop it into any Eberron campaign.
An excellent start to a great campaign
New monster; Glass-covered Zombie Dwarfs!
Great for an inexperienced DM to run with inexperienced PCs looking for their first serious crack at playing D&D
Could have used some more artwork to show to the players
Overall, not really much is wrong with this. I can't wait to play thru it, and I will post another review later once I have given the story a good run. I would recommend it to people looking for an exciting opener to a campaign, and there are plenty of adventure hooks or even whole sections of the book that experienced DM's can build from!