5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...
I've been a fan of Salvator since only october of 2003. Sad I know for those who ponder this review and think me a fool.
Published on 5 Nov. 2003 by A. Ball

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but the Raven series are better
I'm 18 and I read the trilogy in about 3 weeks.

Pro's :- Thoroughly enjoyable fight scenes; decent character development; tackles a bit of morals(rascism); also quite funny at parts.

Cons :- Predictable, good guys always win at everything; dwells on explaining their exhaustion too often and kill dragons far too easily.

I would recommend...
Published on 6 Mar. 2007 by Tunnoch

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 5 Nov. 2003
A. Ball (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Icewind Dale Trilogy Gift Set (Forgotten Realms: the Icewind Dale Trilogy) (Paperback)
However, I was easily coverted from my usual fantasy fables, to these masterful pieces of vivid imagination as soon as I read The Dark Elf Trilogy. I quickly wanted more. I wasn't dissapointed as I read the Crystal Shard, cover to cover, the day I got it - not bad considering I prefer Films to... well... anything.
Slavatore has a way of connecting you with his characters, even though they are clearly worlds apart. Their emotions, conversations, struggles, friendships and rivalries create a brilliant image and an otherwise glum and hard world that is Icewind dale. But its not soppy and superficial, it writhes in action, so stunning, you can almost feel the whir of scimitars slicing and the blow of a heavy hammer.
Its a great series, three equally impressive books (although i prefer the Crystal Shard personally), a great writer.
Fantasy fans, this should be required reading. Anyone else, its still utterly great. Buy it now, you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't say enough in first review., 12 Mar. 2004
This set of books, whilst written before the Dark Elf trilogy, is set after the exodus of the character that Salvatore bases the story on.
The Crystal Shard sees the heroes take on a mad, possessed wizard terrorising the North. It brings into play the major characters in the series, and I felt that it was both satisfying to read, and concluded well, Salvatore bringing it all together marvellously in the end.
Streams of silver picks up where The Crystal Shard left off. The Heroes leave Icewind Dale on a search for the former home of one of their number. Little do they know that they are pursued by several malign entities. Like the first book, this is masterfully written.
Having just now put down The Halfling's Gem, I am forced to say that it is easily as exiting as the former two: A race to rescue a friend sees the heroes travel the length of the continent, with a fair bit of character development and a liberal dose of action along the way. All in all this series provided me with yet another reason to be antisocial and to become intolerant to natural light.
Read the Dark Elf trilogy first though; it's just more fun that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS a D&D Setting. Don't forget that..., 12 Mar. 2004
For those people who were deterred by comments from certain other reviewers, think carefully about the reviews that MOST people give these books.
Firstly, this book is set in the Forgotten Realms, and, (here's a shocker,) that's a Dungeons and Dragons setting. It is really quite hard not to mention elves and dwarves and halflings because they are the mainstays of fantasy books. Suggesting that this series "Copied" from Tolkien is as ludicrous as saying that The Lord Of The Rings "Copied" from the Norse myths.
To those people who are familiar with the Dungeons and Dragons games, (and many other books,) feel superior because you know that a golem is a construct. Anyone with common knowledge, feel superior because you know that Frankenstein was a scientist, not a monster, and me, feel superior because I haven't given a misleading review to a downright fantastic set of books. Buy this and you will not be disappointed, and if you are, (doubtful, but some people don't share my taste for GREAT BOOKS,) write a convincing review that does not show you up as ignorant to the entire fantasy genre.
This set is worth each one of the five stars I am glad to give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story set in Ice, 11 July 2006
This is without a doubt one of R.A Salvatore's best works. What is surprising is that it is also Salvatore's first trilogy.

But this trilogy follows the story after drizz't left Mendoberranzan the great drow city.

This is the start of drizz't's voyage on the surface above the ground where he meets his great friends, the dwarf Bruenor, the barbarian Wulfgar, the lady cattibrie and the halfling regis.

These four will go together on several adventures together always with the company of his cat gwenwhyvar.

Salvatore has a gift to develop a scene with a battle and he also has a great gift to tell a story which is what he does in this book.

He tells a great story which I reccommend anybody who enjoys fantasy books to read

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but the Raven series are better, 6 Mar. 2007
I'm 18 and I read the trilogy in about 3 weeks.

I would recommend these books more for younger teenagers (not to say that older people would not enjoy them) and would recommend reading he 'Chronicles of the Raven' and the 'Legends of the Raven'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The rise of dungeons and dragons, 27 Oct. 2003
In the early days of dungeons and dragons the Drow were a race that made a brief appearence in the first D&D computer game. They were so mysterious R.A.Salvatore decided to write about one in his next book. The frozen shard was about a drow ranger who for reasons unknown left his race's evil society years ago and ended up on the spine of the world. The book was such a succes that R.A. Salvatore wrote two sequels, which make up the icewind dale trilogy. Even this was not enough to please the fans so now there is the dark elf trilogy, describing Drizzt's childhood and the evil's that drove him away from his society, and a series of books following on from the icewind dale trilogy.
The book is a great fantasy novel, and the fight scenes are described with more skill than Tolkein. The story-line is rich, and the world-building Salvatore accompishes in words is incredible.
Anyone with an interest in fantasy will find this book irresistible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars....and I haven't even finished reading it!, 16 Dec. 2005
I read the first book, The Crystal Shard, about four months ago. It had me absolutely riveted from the start, and was the only book by Salvatore I had come across.
I enjoyed it so much that when I found out it was a trilogy (GASP) I was more than willing to stump up the cash for it, despite the fact I already owned one of the stories.
While some of the details regarding the characters and their situations are a little confusing, eventually you realise that the things they do and say, and how they cope with the events that they come up against, are more of a given set of circumstances than something you should already know (although I am reliably informed there is a set of prequel books, written after this trilogy-Star Wars style!). The plot and multiple storylines for each character were, I found, truly engrossing. I look forward to finishing this trilogy and getting started on the rest of Drizzt's adventures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Trilogy, 1 Oct. 2007
M. Kelly (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I had never read any Salvatore books before and picked this up based on the great reviews it always seems to get.

I'm very glad that I did - it grabs the reader right from the first page and doesn't get bogged down in unnecessary detail - Salvatore seems to use detail in all the right places - the action scenes and settings.

My only gripe (and it is a selfish one!) is that the books are too short - it wasn't until I read the last book that it really hit home just how much I enjoyed these books!

If you are a fan of fantasy pick these up now - you won't regret it!

I am now looking forward to reading the rest of Salvatore's work - and thankfully there is a lot of it!

4.0 out of 5 stars even fine wine turns eventually., 28 April 2005
My opinion of the Icewind Dale series, and of R.A. Salvatore's writing has changed considerably as i have grown. As a teenager I found these books riveting. They are fantastic (in both senses) boy's own adventures that take the familiar tropes of fantasy literature, add the characters that teens love and are written with a real kinetic energy. 'The characters that teens love'?! yes, in this series our principle characters are a brave, misunderstood outcast from a cruel society, an orphan girl, a child-like halfling (a hobbit-like person) away from anyone similar, an orphaned noble barbarian youth and a gruff, idealised father figure who has raised the two orphans. This is the fantasy authors version of tapping into the teenage sense of isolation that permeates all succesful teen literature, whether it be Catcher In The Rye or the Famous Five.
I recently re-read these books though, and at the age of 25 i find them clumsy in characterisation, although they are fairly well-plotted and Salvatore writes a superior fight scene the writing is often inelegant. Most importantly Salvatore has little to say. Fantasy literature allows writers a chance to explore the universal 'truths' of humanity and reveal them to their readers by removing the hidden presumptions we apply to the real world. Tolkein was able to explore such universal themes as friendship, morality, industrial development and the nature of war in the most famous of all fantasy trilogies. Salvatore, by contrast, simply gives us a flurry of adventures "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" and without the humour or grace of a 'ripping yarn'.
The 4 stars then are for teens, for adults i would suggest 2stars at best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarassing, 9 Feb. 2004
dangermash (Hartlip, Kent) - See all my reviews
I learned something from these books, and that's always to pay attention to the bad Amazon reviews as well as the good ones. I was embarassed to be seen reading these books on the train, they were that bad.

Shall I tell you what I didn't like? Well,

(i) The author seems determined to get the story across in as few pages as possible. The first book has enough material for a trilogy.

(ii) Other reviewers have pointed out how the story tells us people's emotions as plain facts, rather than leaving us to work them out for ourselves by hearing how conversations span out, how expressions change, what their body language says, etc.

(iii) Also related to the first point, I found myself regularly having to backtrack to find out what was happening. The way everything is packed in so tight, it's possible to miss important things if you find your mind drifting.

(iv) The way that everything is copied from Tolkein. Dwarves, halflings, dragons with treasure, evil artefacts that trake control over the bearer,.... The list goes on. Of all the names the author could have chosen for a Frankenstein-style monster, how can he have chosen Golem? <Um - because a Golum is something in Hebrew mythology - see comments below>

(v) The dungeons & dragons feel to it. Of he went on his adventure armed with a dwarf-memory-revitaliser, a bag of flour and a crystal with the power of hypnosis. Next page you expect to have the problem of needing to make an evil senile dwarf make the scones that are necessary to drive away the evil giants to save the world. And you wouldn't be far wrong.

On the plus side, the books did come in a posh box.

Now I'll sit back and wait for everybody to mark the review up as unhelpful.

The Icewind Dale Trilogy Gift Set (Forgotten Realms: the Icewind Dale Trilogy)
Used & New from: £8.99