5.0 out of 5 stars My door to fantasy.
Cheesy as it sounds, these books changed my life. I picked up a copy of Dragons of Autumn Twilight at school and was hooked. Ten years on, I'm a fantasy writer myself. Yes, the writing style is unexceptional, but who cares when the characters sweep you up and take you away with them. Alright, Laurana and Goldmoon are entirely too beautiful, and Sturm a bit too perfect,...
Published on 29 Oct 2006 by Stephanie J. Major

3.0 out of 5 stars Wee bit disappointed
Read these books initially over 20 years ago when I borrowed them off a mate. My wife got them for me for christmas and I have to admit that I have been quite disappointed.
After years of reading Bernard Cornwell, David Gemmell, Stephen Pressfield amongst others, these books now come across as simplistic and childish. They say never go back, and to be honest I wish I...
Published on 19 Feb 2010 by TopMod

5.0 out of 5 stars Old favourite, 31 May 2012
The Dragonlance series is one of my favourites when I was a teen - and Chronicles is what made me an avid reader.

The story is set in a high fantasy world were the long forgotten gods are re-emerging. The evil gods are gathering their armies to take over, the good gods are finding champions to re-establish a balance. The main story arc follows a band of adventurers who inadvertently get caught up in the whole affair, and are tasked with helping a woman find a lost relic of the old good gods to. So it essentially begins with the old overused Quest storyline, but from there it evolves as the characters go forth on their own, splinter into groups, meeting up again, go off in new groups etc and partake in various roles within the overall war. Basically you never really know where the story is going, and it has many turns and twists.

The characters are interesting and each is different, although they are fantasy archetypes and so most never truly break away from some of clichés (e.g. the gruff dwarf, the honour bound knight etc). Tas offers humour and the trials of other characters offers tragedy and heartbreak. Raistlin is without doubt one of the greatest characters of all time. The imagination in bringing him to life and his story arc alone is genius, and he deserves to be listed with Gandalf as an icon fantasy character - except he's nothing like Gandalf; Gandalf defined the archetype mould for wizards, Raistlin looked at the mould, laughed at it, blew it up and decided to become the single most epic depiction of a wizard put to paper.

The book's relatively short compared to some other fantasies (Wheel or Time, Game of Thrones etc), and not as difficult to read as say Lord of the Rings. Therefore its an easy, enjoyable read. Although this is only when you consider the original Chronicles trilogy, as there are hundreds of books in the Dragonlance franchise, including prequels, sequels, midquels, side stories. Its amazing how many of the minor characters in this book actually have their own spin off novels. You don't have to read them however to enjoy Chronicles.

I did first read this series 15 years ago, and tend to read them every five or so years and I will admit they aren't as quite as good as I remember. Many of the characters are rather more cliché now that I've read other fantasy series, and sometimes I think there is far to much telling not showing. For example, one character later becomes the Golden General and we are told his/her soldiers will follow him/her even to death.... why? What inspired such loyalty. Seriously, one chapter the character is named General and the next has the unquestioning allegiance of an army? Why not develop it? Show the character earning their loyalty through leading them to some amazing victory.

Anyway, despite its flaws I still love it, its a good series and still one of my favourites. High Fantasy fans should read it.

If you liked it I would highly recommend Dragon Wing (The Death Gate cycle) by the same authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragonlance, 9 Jan 2012
The book is great!! I bought it to replace a copy I previously lent out and never got back cos they loved it so much!!
The book was in great condition and arrived really speedily!!
The book itself has a great storyline and is gripping from the first page until the last - luckily there are many spin off books as this leaves you wanting more...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Fantasy, you must read this book!!!, 23 Oct 2011
Keren Gavril (Tel-Aviv, Israel) - See all my reviews
A book for those who love Fantasy. A story about friends that meet and go on an adventure. Being apart for a while, they have to get to know each other again. All changed, some for better, some for worse. Can they trust one another? Each character carries its burden, an inner struggle that must rest aside while the battle against Evil goes on. A war between gods, good Vs. evil, a quest for truth, belief, and freedom. A story about heroism, deception, romance and more...
Once you start reading, there's no stopping... as if you left your body and entered a world of Fantasy, walking among Elves, Dwarves, Magicians, Knights, Dragons and old Gods. You'll learn to love, Admire and sometimes even feel sorry for the Characters, and you will stay with them up to the end and find yourselves wanting more.
This book is a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Live Fizban, 17 Oct 2011
An excellent, entertaining read. I bought this after having read the 2nd trilogy first, since the first of those books was given to me as a gift. This first Trilogy has more humour and a much lighter read, which I am finding ideal whilst on my long breaks at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 3 Oct 2011
M. Massaroni (Tivoli (Roma)) - See all my reviews
If you like D&D world or even if you like the fantasy world in general this is the best book I ever read!
I read it in Italian then in English, same story different sensations :)
Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 13 Feb 2011
read this book far to many years ago ,and have read many more times , ont of the best books ever read ,try it yourself you will enjoy .

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fantasy ever, 26 Sep 2010
Better than Lord of the rings! Shame someone aint making it into a real! movie instead of that poor cartoon version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice service and delivery time, 25 May 2010
Klaus K. Pedersen (Denmark, DK) - See all my reviews
All info was given quickly and effectively. It was accurate and actualy arrived 1 day ahead =)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm really enjoying reading Dragonlance Chronicles, 18 May 2010
Eldad Sagi - See all my reviews
This is the 2nd book I've ordered from Amazon UK. Overseas delivery was fast - faster than the time specified when I ordered. I'm in the middle of the 1st volume in this trilogy and I'm really enjoying reading Dragonlance Chronicles.

4.0 out of 5 stars A charming fantasy adventure., 25 Jan 2010
These were some of the first fantasy books I read, and while they are not as deep or atmospheric as many I have read since they do tell a great and charming adventure. The books do not take ages following a kitchen boy to greatness, the follow an ensemble cast through the adventure revealling the characters pasts as it progresses.
The characters are not the most rounded creations ever, far from it but they do all have a certain charm. I keep using that word, charm or charming and that is precisely what the books are. They are lightweight reading, easy going and likeable. A place to escape to that doesn't remind us of reality. Thats said for all the lightness and charm there is still enough of a sense of danger to lend the story the drama it needs.
Some have accused the books of lacking detail, maybe but just becasue they do not spell everything out to the smallest detail doesn't make them bad, they describe things simply and evocatively.
To sum up if you want a light hearted fun read give these a go, if you are knee deep in fantasy dipped in realism and want more of the same best avoid them.