5.0 out of 5 stars A classic bit of fighting fantasy..., 7 Jun 2001
Mr. A. J. D. White - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: White Plume Mountain (Greyhawk Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
I would have to say I LOVED this book from about the 1st page to the very last. I was quickly drawn into this book and became quite attatched to the characters (although I already knew them as I read Descent into the Earth 1st when its the folow up *DOH*).
Some of the writing may be a bit graphic for some readers with a more squamish stomach, but if you don't mind that and want a good fun book to read I highly recomened this, its what fantasy should be like, fast paced with strange characters such as a living hell hound pelt with a tendency towards pyromania, and a wannabe hero maker *GRIN*

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Adventure, 28 Nov 2003
Yagiz Erkan (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews
This is a highly entertaining book. I really liked the characters and their humour. It was a great adventure and I'd recommend to anybody to take part in it with The Justicar and his friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book in the world, 3 May 2014
my favourite book of all time which has done the rounds and is now safely back in my hands. Brilliant writing, you feel as though you are there.

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel based on a game module ... and its good!, 7 April 2012
JH "hobbs_tx" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First of all, this book is leaps and bounds above Against the Giants (Greyhawk Classics), the first book in the new Greyhawk line. This book draws the reader into the world of Greyhawk much as the old Gord books (Saga of Old City (Greyhawk Adventures Novels, Book 1)) did long ago. The characters in this book are a bit outlandish, but they are so beautifully brought to life that they do not cause a distraction. The Justicar, a no nonsense powerful ranger with a pyromaniac animated hell hound pelt, is perfectly balanced with Escalla, a faerie sorcereress with a craving for the good life. The two meet while the Justicar (or Jus as Escalla calls him) is on a mission from the Countess of Urnst to determine who or what is to blame for a rash of recent attacks on supply caravans heading to the north. A fast paced series of adventures puts the characters up against a horde of devilish monsters in the bowels of White Plume Mountain.

What did I like most about this book? Well this book is truly fun to read. I found myself laughing at the faerie's antics and Cinders the hell hound pelt usually jumped in with a great line or two. Above this the action scenes are superbly written. I liked the way their adventures reminded me of roleplaying at home. There were NOT endless amounts of spells like the silence spells used in "Against the Giants" and there was a real sense of mortality in the combat. Many times the companions came near death something I find missing in most of the Drizzt novels. And what really makes this book better than its predecessor "Against the Giants" is that the characters had personalities and they developed and changed through the course of the book! The only thing that I found lacking in the book was the transparent storyline. But, since this is a novelization of an adventure module, I kind of expected this and still enjoyed the book.

I recommend the book highly and am anxious to start reading the next book with Jus and Escalla, Descent into the Depths of the Earth (Greyhawk Classics) also by Paul Kidd. Hey and, "No one touches the faerie."

White Plume Mountain (Greyhawk Classics)
White Plume Mountain (Greyhawk Classics) by Paul Kidd (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Oct 1999)
Used & New from: 3.10