on 19 May 2005
This journal, is one of the best i have ever read. You feel as if you in Africa once again. His accounts of the various dangerous animals he encounters including the big 5 several times is unbelievable, and unreal. It is only someone like him who could have experienced such amazing things.
The book is littered with sadness with regard to the tradegy of 1999 in Uganda. He gives a very personal account of this. However i think his encounters in the bush with wild animals is where his book really blossoms. I don't want to ruin it.
I am going to South Africa in gap year and living in a game reserve for 10 weeks. This book has no doubt helped me understand more about this beautiful continent, and about the wild in Africa.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This was *exactly* the sort of book I wanted to read pending my 2nd Safari vacation to Kenya later this year, and Ross extrapolates his experiences with Kenya and his life as a safari guide very well, and his love for Kenya is really very apparent,as is his respect for the tourists he escorts as a guide.

It must be noted, however, that his tourists arn't the rough and tumble type of safari goers you might imagine, and his services as a guide are only for the very very very wealthy who can afford the 5 star ' tent hotel' type safaris. A safari with a cheap overland carrier by comparison is a different expereince all together, as illustrated in the final chapter where his group after spending an evening at a Samburu village were too full to eat roast beef+ yorkshire pudding with lemon meriangue for dessert!

The events of March 1999 are chillingly relayed, however, and no matter how charming it might be to see mountain gorillas in the wild, there is no way on Earth anyone would want to enter either Uganda or Rwanda.

That said, Kenya too is an extremly unsafe country to visit, albiet a very beautiful one, as lovingly told my Mark Ross.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again