Format: PaperbackChange

on 6 August 2004
What a surprisingly inspiring and great story. Not being a huge fan of Starbucks, I bought this book with a number of others, just after starting my own small company. After reading a few pages I was drawn into the obvious passion this man has for his brand and the ethics he applies to his business, not to mention the determination to succeed. After I finished reading, I immediately bought a copy for my father who agreed that this is not just a great story but a great read too. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to hear of a commitment and passion I think will inspire others to apply some of Howard's lessons to their own business. Needles to say I'm drinking Starbucks every day...
on 17 April 2005
An inspirational read, describing how Schultz pursues his dreams whilst adhering to the values on which the company was founded. The reader learns of his reactions to problems and how he has benefited from these situations. Schultz' ambitious nature and his sensible approach to staff management have helped to create the success that is Starbucks.
I enjoyed reading the book, as a coffee lover (some may argue addict) with a fondness for Starbucks coffee, and from the point of view of learning about Schultz' management strategies.
Motivational and uplifting as this book may be, I felt at times that it was analogous to the celebrated Frappuccino - refreshing and sweet, but sickening in large quantities.
on 7 March 1999
I am not an entrepeneur, but I am a coffee lover. This book reveals the nuts and bolts of Starbucks' evolution into the huge success that it is today. Howard Schultz describes how an innovative company such as Starbucks caught his interest, resulting in his decision to move across the U.S. to become a part of the Starbucks team. The story about his development as a business man is only matched by the interesting details of the company's people and policies(Which were ahead of their time.) Pour Your Heart Into It was an easy read of an inspiring story about business and the world of coffee.
on 29 March 2005
If you want marketing tips then this isn't a that relevant but buy it anyway. If you are running a business or are an aspiring entrepreneur then this is a must read. I was captivated with every page, i coulcn't put it down. Genuinely inspiring and motivating. My career has come on in leaps and bounds and i have to attribute a lot of my success to Howard Schultz. Another entertaining read is the book written by Ben & Jerry.
on 9 May 2000
As a student studying international business and surving on coffee, this book appealed to me in so many different ways. The truthful and honest way that Shultz delves into his successes and failures kept me riveted until the last page. It has given me hope and encouragement for the future and has taught me to believe in my dreams. This book is an inspiration to entrepreneurs everywhere.
on 30 March 2000
I enjoyed this book of Mr Schultz's Success. The reading was enjoyable and story like and kept me interested from start to finish; unusual for a business book. It impressed me enough to go and visit several starbucks stores in the uk and from those field research trips it is obvious to me that Starbucks is struggling to invest its culture into the UK. Perhaps another chapter is needed to say how starbucks will meet the challenge of intergating the brand into non-american countries. Having said that, it is obvious from the book and my visits to the stores, that there is much passion and where there is passion there will undoubtedly be success.
on 27 July 2000
A great book. Not exactly exciting, but inspirational nonetheless. As a partner with the company this book comes up time and time again. Howard Schultz charts what are still very, very real methods and values used throught the company.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 July 2014
This semi-biographical story of Howard Schultz and the early years of Starbucks is a very interesting read, at least at the start.

After having read the biographies of other self made men (Steve Jobs, Alan Sugar, Richard Branson etc) this story had a lot to live up to and it doesn't disappoint.

The story of the early years of this entrepreneur and Starbucks is full of ambitions, risks and a lot of little anecdotes that were both fascinating to read and inspiring. You get a real sense of passion from the story and the pages turn quickly.

Sadly though, after about the half way mark things begin to slow down considerably. The key message in this book seems to be that they picked a key set of values and then they did their best to grow a business without ever compromising those values. Once Starbucks had been established and the stories began to basically repeat this same message over and over, it became a little repetitive.

That shouldn't get in the way of reading this book however. It is a very interesting book and an intriguing look at the start up of one of the greatest success stories of the 1990s. The key thing to take from this book though is how far passion can take for you. I am not a coffee drinker but after reading 300+ pages of a company's passion and devotion to incredibly high quality coffee, I almost want to march down to my nearest Starbucks to see what all the fuss is about.
on 7 February 2012
I don't normally buy these kinds of books, but when I saw the great reviews I decided to take the plunge, especially as I love coffee and visit Starbucks from time to time.

I've always wondered how the company grew so large and in a way introduced the coffee-shop culture (especially in the UK)

This book details the rise of starbucks until the late 90's and how it became a household name in North America. It's a very easy to book to read and follow and zips along at a quick pace.

Before reading the book I always imagined starbucks as being very corporate and a large, faceless, impersonal organisation. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It was interesting to note that it took it's environmental policy seriously even before it became trendy and it started sources ethically produced coffee years before Fair Trade became as common as now.

Obviously with these kinds of books you are only getting one side of the story and I'm sure he's upset many people on the way to the top, but to be fair he does say that things haven't always been easy. It's a great story for any would be entrepreneurs - he started building the company in his late 20's and had hundreds of shops across N. America before he turned 40.
on 19 June 2014
I think the book was a little pretentious and I took quite a few of the episodes and anecdotes in there with a pinch of salt.

Sometimes, when a businessman, entrepreneur, or biographer writes a book such as this, there tends to be a memory-recall of conversations, meetings etc which are either softened with the passage of time, or camouflaged to appease a person or a situation. I found quite a bit of that in this book. Also current board members and current key staff are always going to be mentioned in the book and praised heavily even though the week before the book was printed Schultz and the staff may have had a massive disagreement.

And one last thing, and this is the pretentious part: Schultz claims that right from the get-go he wanted Starbucks to keep the tradition of a traditional Italian coffee shop. What a joke. Starbucks is nothing more than a coffee shop full of fake and artificial syrups and beverages that are loaded to the brim with sugar and other horrible nasty things, and yet he claims he's never and will never compromise on the products and their genuine tradition and quality grade. Ahhum, how noble Mr. Schultz, and what a joke !